While BLM land, national & state parks get mentioned frequently, there are more, often overlooked places to camp as well. While some are free, and some are paid, here are a few of the resources we often don’t hear about.
- National, State, & Regional forests
- City & County parks & campgrounds
- Water Management Sites
- Utilities Management Sites
- Wildlife Management Sites
- Unofficial but allowed camping near lakes, rivers waterfalls, etc. (Sometimes @ boat ramps)
Free camping apps are great, you can google them, but there are many gems that only the locals know about. Never be afraid to ask the locals about their favorite camping spots. I have found many free, spectacular, undocumented sites thanks to locals. Locals are one of my favorite resources.