Launching A Campervan Marketplace 💪

Hey all! As a designer/developer, I’m recently inspired to build a marketplace to easily browse, buy, and sell unique, hand-built campers from local private sellers. This was very much inspired by the beautiful vans I’ve come across on Instagram and YouTube!

Curious to know if you would be interested in something like this? What would be beneficial for you as a van seller/buyer for a dedicated platform? Feel free to share your thoughts :smiley: thanks for welcoming me into the forum!

Greetings & Welcome!

While I think it’s a worthwhile idea, I question it’s practicality… There are already similar sites, which are struggling to make enough money to make it worthwhile…

Then there is the elephant in the room, which is an even bigger obstacle to me. The languages are constantly changing! What works this week, is broken next week because of this. I spent 2 years working on a similar project for a friend, except it was for real estate. Every time I got it working perfectly, something beyond my control would change, and suddenly the website was broken. PHP changes constantly, so does Perl, and Javascript, and every other language I’ve dealt with.

The people in charge of all these languages make their money by repairing broken websites. So they are continuously and intentionally breaking them. These guys will write a script to update existing websites, so it only take THEM seconds to do it, and charge people hundreds of dollars. For the rest of us, that means weeks worth of tedious work to get things back up and running properly.

After tearing my hair out for 2 years, I through in the towel, and told my friend he was going to have to sign up with a third party service, because I wasn’t going to spend the rest of my life constantly updating things. So for $20/mo he has a working website, and somebody else can deal with all the headaches and constant updates.

Now if you had 1,000 people using your script, each paying you $20/mo, and you enjoy programming, it would pay you well. In my case, I want to retire with a hands free income, so it just isn’t a good fit. So for myself, I am now working on maintenance free, hands free, nearly break proof, extremely basic & simple money making websites, and/or just renting money making websites where it’s somebody else’s job to keep them up and running.

Good Luck & keep us posted!

Cheers!

"Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst." ~ Murphy