Just got a Transit!

Hi everyone! I am new to the Forums and van life as a whole I am using my dads 2017 transit which he no longer needs. However, in order to turn this is into my home, I need to convert it. Happy to do DIY but need a good website with all of the things I need. Looking for some help,
Thanks.

attached is the exact same model but I am unable to take photos at this time.

Hi just attaching more info.

The van would need to sleep 1 and a dog and would be lived in full time

Thanks

Greetings!

Cargo vans are much harder and much more expensive to convert than passenger window vans, and they are not as stealthy, but it can be done.

Many people put in roof vents to aid in ventilation, but personally I am against putting any holes in roofs because sooner or later they ALWAYS_LEAK!!! I would start by figuring out your ventilation plans before proceeding with anything else.

I can help with ideas and various options if desired.

Cheers!

"Proper planning, preparation, and equipment, ensure proper performance." ~ Road Warrior

Hi @Van_Dweller

Thanks for the help what would you advise over putting holes in my roof

Thanks

Hi For my transit i am willing to go all out and make it my dream home but in a van. I would also like to experiment with ways to fit my dog into the mix (Border collie) so the she is happy. I am big hiker and surfer as well as rock climbing so i need an area for all of my gear. I have also looked at potential roof racks as well. I would also like to know what works best in the insulation department and what is the best material to go for. I also want it to have a shower (indoor or outdoor) I have sorted out the toilet situation. Also as well as my Transit (with tow Package) I also own a patriot campers X2 which i purchased for my ford ranger which i recently sold. I did not sell the patriot as I figuerd it would be Helpful Later.

Hope you can Help

Xander

Greetings!

In no particular order…

A) Add opening windows, the more the better.

B) Sidewall vents with rainproof louvers.

C) Floor Vents.

D) A scheme to circulate air from the front windows alone throughout the van.

Cheers!

"Proper planning, preparation, and equipment, ensure proper performance." ~ Road Warrior

Thanks so much, @Van_Dweller for the help just ordered some windows for ventilation. What do you think I should do next

Thanks

Greetings!

Foam & Cork seem to get the best reviews for insulation. If you use multiple sheets of thin stuff, it is more flexible and contours to curves better than the more rigid thicker sheets. I’d go with whichever is lighter weight.

Showers can range from extremely simple to overly complicated. For mine, I use a hula hoop for a shower curtain rod, with regular shower curtain hooks & curtains, all from the dollar store. This can be hung from anywhere, either inside or outside. Mine is also my toilet curtain. Then I use a storage container to catch the shower water. I use a weed sprayer with a kitchen sink sprayer for the shower head, which requires no power and easily used either inside or outside. I even use it to wash my van. There are also Battery/USB/12v options available too.

Climate control with a pooch is a lot harder, especially for heat. I use a kerosene heater myself, but it is not pooch friendly to me. You need heat which is pooch proof, and can’t set him on fire. For this reason, I’d suggest an RV type furnace.

Cooling is easier, besides shade & ventilation, you only have 2 choices, either A/C or a swamp cooler. A/C is going to require either shore power or a generator. I’ve had better luck with a 12v power sipping swamp cooler. (homemade) It’s cheaper and uses a whole lot less power, while being equally or possibly more efficient than a regualr A/C. The only downside is it they do use water, but mine can freeze you out no matter how hot it gets outside. I’m the guy wearing a sweater inside my van when it’s 120°f outside. Since I both live & work inside my van, comfort is a big priority for me.

Most people tend to put a big storage garage under their bed.

Cheers!

Greetings!

Floor insulation is VERY important. It cuts road noise, and prevents drivetrain heat from entering your van, as well as ground heat.

Cheers!

Hi

Thanks for all the help i will do some of my own research in heating with a puppy but i will propably take your advice on everything else

Thanks

Since you are probably stripping everything, slap a sheet of noise dampening material on all large metal surfaces before you do the insulation. It should give huge help in noise reduction while driving. That is available pretty much every shop that sells car audio equipment and they can advice on proper amount/install.

One nice idea for hot climate that I’ve seen was floor vent air intake. Unless you can park in a shade, there probably isn’t shade anywhere else than underneath the van. Just have good bug net there :smiley: I saw it in youtube, video title is " Retired engineer builds transforming, off-grid, stealth campervan".

I often browse youtube and instagram on several van build related users, because whatever you can think of, someone pretty much has already made it and probably professionally. So I look at different layouts and features, ideas, how they appear to work and how I could implement something in my van that currently sits at the parking lot. Besides everyone’s needs are different, my plan is 80% work van and cargo transport, 10% resting/cooking while working and 10% for weekend camping trips. Since you want 100% live-in solution, focus is on different things.

Congrats with the transit. I also did jut got mine.Do you have any alternative for the oem liner https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/fk4z-1613046-aa.html we have?