Is Leveling The Van Necessary When Parking?

Was watching Rolling Earthship on YT and he was using a pocket leveler to level his van. He also took out 2 little red curved ramps and said he usually did not but he was going to use them under his wheels. So he rolled his wheels on them and then checked with the level again and was satisfied.

I’ve seen 5th wheels with those auto levelers and maybe some campers. I’ve also heard it said that leveling is important if you have fuel tanks that you use for a fridge, that you don’t want those tanks not level.

Don’t know why Rolling Earthship was leveling his van. Normally, isn’t it ok just to park and if the van feels level to leave it at that? Is there some reason that I should make sure my van is near perfectly leveled when I park? When I drive, I always use my parking break to make sure I don’t roll, so that’s not an issue.

Greetings!

I’ve got my fridge on a gimbal like on a boat, so it is self leveling. Then I have similar to tent poles for the legs on my bed to make it level…

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

2 Likes

If you get the folding traction pads you can use those to level. Most times if it isn’t completely flat I just make sure my feet are pointing downhill. A little incline isn’t an issue for me.

1 Like

Just like with everything else, the prices are all over the place. :roll_eyes: I think I should get a pair of chocks too. Didn’t know what they were called till I searched for the mats.
Amazon Folding Traction Mats

How is your fridge powered?

They are expensive, these are good ones for leveling as well as getting unstuck. Amazon.com.

As far as our fridge, it’s 12v.

1 Like

Greetings!

My fridge/freezer is a 3-way, propane/12v/120v out of an RV. ($50) I reworked the propane part so I can run it off from a liquid candle, currently cooking oil, but it could use kerosene or diesel as well. It uses a very tiny amount of fuel, but when using fuel, it must be level. Thiis was true when it using propane as well, because the heat from the flame must go up a tube, and must be aligned right.

Since I don’t like screwing around leveling my van, I mounted using a marine gimbal so it would be self leveling.

I leave it lit while driving around town, but switch it over to 12v when traveling. Like all 12v fridges, it isn’t nearly as efficient on 12v, so I’ll freeze a couple 1 gallon water jugs before traveling to help it out.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

1 Like