Invert and alternator charging

I recently upgraded my batteries to 2x lithium 100ah and a new xantrex 2000w inverter charger, I was living on shore power and had no issues

I’m now living off-grid and my system is confusing me. I have a victron battery monitor system and at the end of each day of use, it shows I’ve used around 20ah but my battery level is down 40/50% if I plug in or run the car i get back to 100% within about 20 minutes which seems way to fast. any ideas of what’s happening?

i have check all the victron settings and they are what the manual and online video says I should set to.

Most of the battery monitors have to be set a specific way. I think for victron and most other you must have your battery bank charged to 100% full or (100% empty which isn’t possibile without damaging the battery), tell the battery monitor that the bank is full and also how many amp hours the bank is.

You need to make sure your victron is capable of handling a battery bank that size as well. I believe it should as they are higher end. The cheaper ones can only handle about 100ah banks.

Basically, you’re going to have to charge our batteries to what you think is 100% then disconnect all power from them. Wait at a minimum two hours and meter them. They should be 12.6 for a standard battery. I don’t know about lithium though. The resting voltage could be higher. You’ll need to research that part. Once it is full, hook it all back up and set the victron settings. Should be a manual you can download somewhere.

Good luck.

Greetings!

I really don’t care for battery monitors other than low voltage cut-off ones.

A 2,000 watt inverter is probably overkill for your system. That’s drawing ~200 amps!!! I’m not really a fan of inverters to begin with, and prefer to just get everything in 12v models instead, so no conversion is required.

Lithium batteries can take a very fast, high amperage charge. That, and their reduced weight are about their only advantages, the rest is all hype to justify their ridiculously high prices. Applications that depend on them replace them every 2 years, because that’s their true reliable lifespan.

For me, the happiest I’ve been in 40+ years of experimenting, is with under $20 deep cycle batteries from junk yards.

Cheers!

"Smiles are contagious, pass them on!" ~ Van_Dweller