Introduction new here

Introduce Yourself…

Hello :wave: searching for a van. Found this forum while googling van issues. Thanks for having this forum! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi, I was looking for a way to find good spots off road by rivers or the sea or just in the woods that would be ideal for a day with the kids dog etc. kind of set up camp and be alone!
Any pointers? I’m in the south west/Somerset
Mark

Greetings & Welcome to both of you!

I find many of my lake, river, stream type camping spots by using Google maps. Water shows up easily in normal view, then you can use satellite view to find your spots.

Sometimes I also google fishing spots or boat ramps near me, parks can be good if they’re free too, and don’t forget the “America The Beautiful” park passes.

Be wary of states like Oregon, that has many different types of camping passes, and is quick to fine you heavily if you don’t have a pass or have the wrong one. The forests, lakes, and rivers are state owned property and camping requires permits.

Cheers!

"Life can be as simple or as complicated as you make it.
Simple is cheaper and more reliable."
~ Off Grid

Hi, and welcome!

I presume you are SW and Somerset here in the UK!?!

There are some good spots, but the one thing to remember is that wild camping is technically illegal here in the UK.

Not that we do in most cases, but the rule is that you should really get the landowners’ permission to stay almost anywhere.

Funnily enough…I have never had the knock in England, but I am sure there will be a time when it happens!

Tip…be discreet, but if you are asked to move on, be polite and respectful above all else, and cooperate as much as you can!

I hope this helps.

All the best!