Ideas for Heat in 4Runner

So I am about to embark on a very long road trip in my 2008 4runner and I have everything setup as needed except I am trying to figure out a way to have heat without running the engine for sleeping at night.
I am going to do most sleeping in either tent at camp sites or in the back of the 4runner itself which I have setup to make almost the entire back a sleeping area so its very comfortable, only issue I need to solve is how to have some heat during the really cold nights say anything below 25-30deg F, I have good cold weather gear and a great sleeping bag rated down to -15c but I don’t want to have to “Survive” I want to be able to sleep comfortably and be happy as possible when I wake instead of fighting to stay warm all night, even a small amount of heat like say a heated blanket or very small ceramic heater would be perfect, but I am not sure what size battery I would need and a way to hook it up into my car system so it charges while I drive, I am pretty familiar with these setups from research, but don’t know quite enough to determine the need for such a small vehicle compared to a full Ford Transit or Pro Master.
Anyone have any ideas they could share on how I could generate heat even a small amount in a 4runner at night without running the engine? Say from like a heated blanket, or small ceramic heater, or something like that. I know they draw a ton of power, but it’s the only forms which don’t give off toxic fumes or open flames and such.
Thanks for any help! I really appreciate it!!

Daniel

Greetings & Welcome!

I would get a low battery cut off for your starter battery, and a 12v electric blanket with a 15/30/45 minute timer. I set mine @ 15 mins, INSIDE my sleeping bag. At the temps you’re talking, once is enough for the whole night. In arctic temps, I might give it a boost 2-3 times a night.

A ski mask can keep your head warm, and a sleep mask can cover your eyes so you have nothing exposed. If you must see out, ski goggles work.

For a minimal setup, I would install a remote starter, so you can start the rig from in bed, and let it warm up before you get out of bed.

Good Luck & keep us posted!

Cheers!

"Don't be scared, BE PREPARED!" ~ Road Warrior

That’s why I love forums, I never even thought about that before. A 12v electric blanket and running on a timer, just ordered it from amazon and will be testing it within 2 weeks in Colorado! Thanks so much for the reply and advice!!

Greetings!

Always glad to help when I can! :wink:

Cheers!

"Don't be scared, BE PREPARED!" ~ Road Warrior