How reliable are Chevy Express vans?

Hey all!

Looking for advice on a Chevy Express 1500 van for short term, full time living.

It wouldn’t be my first choice because of the gas mileage, but I’m living in a place with minimal housing options for my summer job, so I need to find something fast!

I’m eyeing a 2011 with 153,000 miles (goes for $10k). It’s been looked at by a mechanic and seems like it runs well and has had work done recently (brakes replaced). It’s half converted already with insulation and a bed platform.

As I don’t know the next thing about cars, I’m curious if anyone has experience with these vans that can tell me about their reliability. Is it a money pit, or reliable at this mileage? What are some common issues? I plan to road trip in it as well.

Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you!!

Greetings & Welcome!

I would strongly suggest a cheap, older, move in ready motorhome.

Good luck & keep us posted. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

"There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers..." ~ Road Warrior

Hello, I just purchased a Chevy Express 2015 with 100K that I’m converting to a hunting van. They are gas guzzler’s for sure but I also needed something to tow a 23’ boat. Mine has the 6L. I love the van. It’s big roomy and powerful.

The owner I purchased it from is a phenetic with his vans. He has a fleet of 24 of the same vans and has every single maint. record on each and every van. Mine just had brakes, rotor and calipers done. He also did the oil every 5K with synthetic oil, and flushed all the other fluids every 30K miles.

He has ran Chevy Express vans for many years. I also owned an Astro years back which was awesome. I don’t know much about the 1500 model but my local mechanic still maintains Chevy cargo vans with 300K on them.

Greetings!

Just remember that a 1500 is only a half ton van, meaning that your load & towing capacity will be much less than a 3/4 or 1 ton van.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

I know this is an old post, but the subject is bound to come up again. You would be surprised how long later model engines last these days. Any service records? Are the fluid clean? Does it have good oil pressure at operating temp. Before you buy it, have your mechanic change the oil and cut open the oil filter. He should know what to look for. Does the check engine light come on when starting and go off after it’s running? Has it passed smog recently? Does the trans fluid look clean? Does it engage into gear without hesitation or noise? Does it take off cleanly without slipping? Is shifting swift and smooth? These are all questions you need to answer before purchasing.