Hey new to the forum/ First question!

Hey y’all! My name is Dan and im writing to you from the crescent city, New Orleans!
Ahh lets see, Im a dog dad, Use to ride freight across the country, love authentic ny pizza and bagels, artist/ musician, and trying to get my life back wiith a van so i can travel again! Worked super hard these past 4 years, time to cash in!

So before i start my build layout, i need to figure out the bed situation…
Its suppose to be a easy thing to figure out but my problem is a little unique… Let me explain.

Back in 2018, i bought a 2001 Toyota Sienna, I made a very small loft for it and bought a Queen sized memory foam bed.
With a large bread knife, i made it fit my sienna perfectly. It went from a Queen to a in-between a Twin and Full.
After getting off the road, i’ve been using the bed in my house for the past 2 years.

Now, I want to build in a Transit, (Med roof/ 140 wheelbase) and with my custom size bed, im going to be looking at a lot of extra space width and length wise which i feel might conflict with the garage space ill be making underneath it.

My question is, Should i invest in a full size bed that is smaller (in height) and lighter in weight? (Similiar to what ive been seeing on a lot of builds use on youtube), OR keep my heavy custom sized bed and lay it on a full sized bed platform and work with the awkward space that it will leave me?

I appreciate any feedback, thanks for you time!

Dan

I really have no clue what most people use for their beds. Us, we just have two 3-4 inch full size memory foam/foam toppers which we find to be extremely comfortable. Cost about $250 or so, so not really a huge investment. I’m not actually sure a “real” bed is anymore comfortable at all.

What do you plan on keeping underneath your bed anyways as far as a “garage” is concerned? Personally not a fan of putting bikes under there. They take up so much space and create a lot of wasted space in doing so.

1 Like

Greetings & Welcome!

I’m a fan of the VW Westfalia interior, with a few useful changes. I prefer sliding cabinet doors over swing open doors, so that nothing gets in the way of opening them, and I like to split the sofa bed, so half can be a seat, and the other half a bed, yet you’ll still have a double bed if you want it.

This will still give you plenty of under bed storage, plus you could add upper cabinets.

With the extra room in your proposed van, you can add a toilet & shower & be golden.

Cheers!

"Always avoid expensive solutions to cheap problems." ~ OffGrid

1 Like