Hello! I just bought a bus and completed my first trip

Hi, my name is Ryan and I just bought a 1972 VW Sportsmobile. I found it in New Mexico and drove it back to Florida with my brother. The funny thing is, I used to live in New Mexico, about 45 mins from where the bus was parked. I can’t believe that 25 years ago I was that close to my dream bus and didn’t know it.

Anyways, I got 1753 miles down and million more to go. I can’t wait to get back on the road.

4 Likes

When do you plan on converting it?

She’s a beauty! Did you have to do much/any work on it before driving it back? Or was it in good condition from the beginning?

Im in the process now. Not a whole lot to be done. She is in really great shape. I am hoping to head out on another trip this fall.

1 Like

She was in really great shape. She had one owner until 2015. The guy I bought it from replaced most of the rubber and fluids. She only has 57k mile on her and zero rust. So we just picked her up, bought a few tools, some manuals and started driving. We did 300 the first day and over 800 the next. No issues. She runs like she is brand new.

1 Like

That’s awesome, and almost unheard of! Way to go!

What’s the first on your bucket list?

That’s awesome. What a find :ok_hand::+1:

Somewhere close initially, like North Carolina. But the goal would be Cali, Utah, Arizona. But before I can do that, I have to get real good at vw engine repair.

2 Likes

ouch!
That sounds expensive, how much is that approximately?

Engine is fine. In fact it only has 57k miles on it. I would just feel better about a road trip if I knew how to work on the engine. lol.

2 Likes

Yea learning about the vehicle is a good idea.

You never know when and where you might get stranded with no signals.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst

1 Like