Hello from the North Woods of Minnesota!

I recently uprooted my life and moved from Ohio to Northern Minnesota, and now I don’t want to stop adventuring! I’ve done a bit of car camping out of my Jeep Renegade and I love it but as an almost 6ft tall individual, it is a bit cramped. I have been dreaming of starting my van journey and am currently in the planning stages. I’m currently planning on getting a promaster and, for the most part, building it myself bit by bit. I want something i can easily roam in and potentially have space so my pets (one dog and one cat) can roam with me. I look forward to learning from the community and getting started on my van life adventure. Give a shout-out if you know of any resources in the Duluth and Iron Range regions of Minnesota!

1 Like

Hello from another newbie to this forum, from NW WI. I don’t know your budget or abilities, but if you are new to the hobby/lifestyle, I would advise you to consider a used camper or RV, rather than building a DYI camper van. The advantages are many, including; WAY lower entry cost, and being able to use it immediately (after a little cleaning and maintenance). Also; private sellers getting out of the hobby will often include camping gear. You are in the area with the highest per capita ownership of campers and RVs in the country. Practically everyone here owns some sort of camping rig, many of which get little if any use. And despite recent inflation and increased camping interest, you can still buy used units in this area for cheap. If you have your heart set on a van type camper, don’t rule out the Class C models. They have more room than a Class B, are comparable in operating costs, and are currently significantly lower in cost on the used market (best bang for your buck). Search CL, and FB Marketplace, and you will find 100’s of campers. This will also give you an idea of asking prices for various models. For the best bargains, drive around and knock on a few doors. The worst they can say is NO! And ALWAYS, take someone knowledgeable with you, and don’t assume anything works, unless the seller can prove otherwise.
Good Luck in your adventures!

1 Like