Hello All! Looking to Learn About This Lifestye

Hi! I’ve joined this forum because I’m seriously considering this lifestyle. I do have some concerns, one being my age. I’m 73 but in reasonably good health. I do not have any mobility issues. I’m here to learn about this lifestyle to help me make a decision on whether to pursue this or not.

Greetings & Welcome!

There are many ways to go about this lifestyle, and it can fit into almost any budget.

Older motorhomes are frequently the best choice, cheaper, move in ready, and with more amenities. DIY vans can be done cheap, but most wind up costing a small to large fortune, for something not nearly as livable as a factory camper.

Travel Trailers are also an option for some.

You should never gamble more on this lifestyle than you can afford to lose, and you should have at least a $10k emergency fund for if things don’t work out as planned.

I would start with a cheap (under $5k) motorhome in excellent mechanical & camper shape. I have bought many for under $2500. I’ve had especially good luck with one built in the 70’s with the Dodge drivetrains. Newer ones use Chevy & ford drivetrains, and are frequently money pits. You want one that is factory, and not modified by some unqualified person.

Factory camper vans usually cost more than an older motorhome, and won’t have nearly as much living space. Once again, you want factory, not built or modified by some unqualified person.

Try to choose one with a built in working generator.

Check the tires! They will have a date code on them, and if they are older than 5 years old, they will need to be replaced immediately regardless of how good they look.

Take it to a qualified mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection.

Once you have a rig, start with short trips close to home, before you give up your home. This lifestyle isn’t right for the majority of people, so the less you gamble, the less you’ll have a chance of losing. If money isn’t an issue, you can always upgrade later once you have some experience, and know what you want or need better. Alternative lifestyles are far different than traditional ones, and only experience c an teach you what you’ll need to know. Everybody’s wants, needs, & desires often change dramatically with experience, and it is often a very personal thing.

Most people who are successful at this lifestyle have the ability to spot potential problems before they become major ones, and imagineer creative solutions to get them by until proper repairs can be made.

Many people our age prefer old school cool, to computerized crapola. I love my laptop & the internet, but computers in cars have never spelled anything but expensive trouble for me. I use these old campers as intended, and life is good and cheap too. Newer isn’t always better, often just more expensive and with added problems and complexities.

Cheers!

"Be a credit to the human race, and make the world a better place." ~ Off Grid

1 Like

This is a great response! Thank You Very Much! Very Helpful.

Greetings!

Always glad to help when I can! :smiley:

Cheers!

"Be a credit to the human race, and make the world a better place." ~ Off Grid