Got my Vehicle! (1999 Ford 7.3L Shuttle Bus)

So in the spirit of my original post, I just thought I’d put my final update out there.

I’ve been traveling with this bus now for two years, largely staying on farms through the “Workaway” program.

It has been so much fun, and such a great experience. I’ve learned so many things and met so many new friends. But at last, the time has come to sell my Shuttle.

During my travels, I picked up a travel partner whom I now intend to marry, and together we’ve worked towards setting aside the money to get our own farm. This has been a goal largely accomplished due to the kindness of these farms, and this wonderful minimalist lifestyle with my Shuttle.

So top things I’ve learned in two-ish years of Vanlife/Buslife/Nomad Life…

• Don’t bother with overly complicated fancy stuff, like recirculating showers. As you can see from my most recent update of the bus interior (pictured below), that $3000 shower was turned into a closet. The closet is WORLDS more useful than that stupid shower ever was.

• Keep cooking simple, I bought a Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker and it is hands down the only appliance you need for cooking. I turned all the rest of that space into just dry food storage and it’s been great. No pots, no pans, no fuss or mess. I never got into Influencing because how could I live a minimalist lifestyle but then try to convince others they needed to cram their vehicles full of junk? But I tell you what, that Ninja Foodi has been amazing. I will most certainly stand by that product as incredibly useful in the Vanlife lifestyle.

• Summer sucks, either make sure you insulate A LOT or don’t plan on being in your bus during the day. I got a floor AC that ended up spiking the electric one month (It was during that weird heatwave too, over the summer of 2022) for one of the farms I was on, just to try and keep it cool during the day. They were really nice about it, but even after all that money spent, it was still like 90 degrees in the bus during the day. (WITH the AC running)

• Don’t live IN a vehicle, live OUT OF the vehicle. I’ve met so many amazing people (some annoying too, haha) not just traveling but getting involved. Farm work through Workaway is amazing, just avoid the ones looking for cheap free labor. There are good places with good people, and being a part of those places has been the best part of my last two years.

• Plan for emergency maintenance, and have money set aside for it. So far I’ve got about $33k into the bus, total from purchase to the final build that I have right now. While that’s actually less than what I would have spent for an apartment in my hometown for the last two years, it did at times get a bit costly in sudden large bursts.

So while I hate to, now it’s time to sell the Shuttle. I’d rather let someone else get the opportunity and experience I did than let it sit on the farm I intend to buy, just rotting into dust. So that’s my story people, forget the glamour that Instagram and Tickle Tok make it out to be, that stuff isn’t real. But I assure you, from my own personal experience, that it can be an amazing journey.

Safe travels, all!

• Rydel

1 Like

It did not come with a rear door, but I was actually not the one to cut it. The Gentleman that I purchased it from had already cut it.

Not that I open it often, but it has always worked well! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow I really LOVE this post! Getting down to basics of what you really NEED is my philosophy as well!
And what a fantastic story of your journey! Wish you well on your new farming chapter!
Thanks for sharing!

Rydel! I am so happy to find your post in this forum. Purchased a 1999 Ford Truck E350 Super Duty Van 5.4L FI SOHC 8cyl this past April. I’ve stripped my roofing off of the industrial foam and some of the plywood.

I found leaks and moldy areas hence the stripping so I could bust the rust as well. How did deal with the fiberglass/aluminum roofing? You mentioned “hit it with loads of Ospho, sealed it with rubber spray, lined the edges with great stuff to help fill exposed gaps, and finally put the floor down with metal screws and wood glue.”

As already mentioned, I greatly appreciate your progress pics to guide me forward. Thank you in advance!

IMG_6985

Greetings & Welcome!

I tend to handle things differently but oh well, the damage has already been done…

I seal everything from the outside, then only repair visible damage on the inside. An ozone generator will kill any mold issues, even hidden mold. If it’s structurally sound, I stop there.

Most hardware stores will have some form of rust converter, follow the directions, then prime & repaint using rustoleum.

I can’t really tell 100% by your pictures, and all these things are different, but it looks like the purpose of the wood is to strengthen the roof. If that’s the case, I would say that it needs to be replaced due to damage inflicted to it. Make sure you add full width shims between the wood and the beams, on both the front & rear sides of each beam. The roof needs to be very solid, with no give/flex under that fiberglass. Otherwise any weight or a tree branch could crack/break it. It what’s on the inside giving it it’s strength, not the thin fiberglass itself. Follow that up with foam insulation panels, to the thickness of the ribs, then finish it off with waterproof paneling.

DO NOT tear into the walls or floor!!! Add to them if you like, but unless there is visible catastrophic damage, it is best to just fix or hide the visible damage. Things like what you’ve done to the roof can make the whole vehicle less stable, and even alter it’s driving safety. These were engineered the way they were following strict safety standards, and you NEVER want to mess with that, it’s structural. Luckily for you, yours has ribs, while many don’t. Your’s can be fixed good as new, just a whole lot of likely unnecessary work.

Cheers!

"Old school, cheap, simple, reliable, and easily replaceable for the win!" ~ Traveler@Heart

exciting!!! i just bought a 2003 ford e350 cutaway van with the powerstroke 7.3 so really enjoying your thread!

Thank you so much for all these tips! Will definitely follow them to the T.

1 Like

How’s it going for you?