Gearing up for My First season in My Astro

Hi! My name is Mike and I am a Farmer in Maryland. I’m looking for any tips for a simple and basic conversion of an Astro Passenger Van.
Thanks!

my advice is . . . . . .listen to vandweller

2 Likes

Greetings & Welcome!

We’re here to help!

Let’s start from top, is it a passenger van or a cargo van?

Then if you could list the amenities or conveniences you’d like, we can go from there.

Cheers!

"For every complicated problem there is usually
a cheap, easy, simple, & safe solution." ~ Road Warrior

Hi Thanks!
It’s a passenger and I’m looking at pretty minimal amenities. I’m thinking a platform that can convert to a couch/day bed, and can fit a medium size dog and 2 people when opened up.
I plan on sticking to the southern states in the winter to avoid as much real cold as possible, but should I insulate the floor before building my platform? what about the windows?
Thanks for any input!
mike

Greetings!

Your floor should already be well insulated under the carpet. I would keep it, and just add washable throw rugs in top.

Windows are great, and can save you a fortune by not needing roof vents. A cheap 10" 12v fan is a great and cheap addition.

I would keep the floor, walls, and ceiling intact if they’re in reasonable shape.

Your bed will likely need to go lengthwise, but you need to determine how wide you need it. If your bed needs to go full width, you could put a double sided kitchen inside your back doors that could be used while standing outside, or while seated inside if the weather is less than favorable. Then your bed could be a lengthwise sofa/bed that when opened could be full width.

Another option is the Westfalia style where the kitchen and storage runs full length along the drivers side wall, and the sofa/bed faces forward when in sofa mode, but pulls out to full length. In this case, the bed is narrower.

Both choices are popular, and it just depends on your needs and preferences.

Keep us posted.

Cheers!

"For every complicated problem there is usually
a cheap, easy, simple, & safe solution." ~ Road Warrior