Gas vent on vw caddy

Hi there we have recently purchased a ex British gas caddy. Its came with a side vent which is large and seem like it could leak water over time. Does anyone have any ideas to either seal it around the edges or to remove it and replace it with something low profile and if so how would we go about that? The one thats on is rivited into the can so would require drill it out. Does anyone have any ideas on how to replace with something low profile or seal? Thanks for your time
Screenshot_20230610_190358_Chrome

Hi @Matthew1 and welcome!

One of the biggest issues I have had with previous vans of mine has been adequate and effective ventilation, therefore, have you considered drilling the rivets out carefully so as not to damage the plastic casing of the vent and then reinstalling it using a sealant such as Sikaflex (available from Screwfix) and then using it as a low level air intake for ventilation?

I have installed a low level fan assisted vent in the floor of my T5 which has proved to be very beneficial during the summer months in Europe.

The idea behind this is that I can draw cooler air into the van from underneath when it gets hot outside, and in conjunction with the roof fan there is a reasonably good flow of air through the van.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Great advice thanks i think you are right to leave it have you come across a cover that wpuld keep the air flow but is more low profile?

I haven’t, but I think eBay might be a good place to start…make sure any you choose has some sort of cover that still allows airflow to minimise or prevent water ingress into your vehicle.

I hope this helps…

Tbh with your advice im just going to keep it as it is thank you for your time :blush: