Frame or floating subfloor?

Planning a high roof Transit conversion. Priorities include thinsulate insulated floor & ceiling, but minimizing loss of height… I’m 6’4", about 240#.
The ceiling is easy peasy.
The subfloor is more concern because it needs to bear weight, substantial in my case.
Obviously gluing down edge-trimmed 4x8x1" rigid insulation sheets, then laying in a half inch advantech subfloor is easier, faster, and cheaper than fixing wood or aluminium ribs, then inserting cut insulation pieces, then laying down the advantech. The later is more complicated and introduces thermal bridges between the metal ribs and the advantech. But will the easier solution hold my weight?
Has anyone found compression specifications for the 1", R-5 rigid sheets? Thanks for your thoughts.

Greetings & Welcome!

For what it’s worth, I just sandwich 1/2" foam between 1/4" plywood and call it good, no ribs or framing needed. Solid as can be, while allowing airflow between the metal floor and the new floor with no thermal bridging.

Cheers!

"Accountability, responsibility, sustainability,
& creative solutions for the win." ~ Old_Soul

1 Like

Thank you!
Got it. The bottom 1/4" layer serves to distribute the weight across the entire surface, rather than just the ribs. So no layer (except the top) was glued down?

Greetings!

Right. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

"Accountability, responsibility, sustainability,
& creative solutions for the win." ~ Old_Soul

1 Like