Ford Extended Length High Top

Hey everyone! I’m new to the forum but have been extensively researching for a few months now.
I’m just about ready to buy my van and start building. I’m looking at going with Ford.
I don’t see a 170" wheelbase, so am looking at the 148" wb. I’m having a bit of a tough time finding the exact dimension so that I can tape it out on my floor/build it in SketchUp. Any advice in terms of Ford Transit Cargo/what have you would be helpful as well - I’m not finding a ton of info on the differences between models either. Most van conversion sites talk about Mercedes/Dodge/Ford, but not the differences inbetween.
I am planning on traveling by myself but may have guests form time to time and plan on being somewhat stealth so I can park in cities no problem, but also go camping.
Any advice for a first time builder would be much appreciated in terms of whether or not this sounds like the right vehicle for me!

Greetings & Welcome!

The first and most important piece of advice is DON’T BUY A CARGO VAN!. Contrary to the crapola spread by the promoters, cargo vans are NOT stealthy. They promote them because they cost considerably more to convert, and the more you spend, the more money they potentially make. Cargo vans have a terrible stigma attached to them.

With a passenger van, the interior is already finished, so you can just remove the rear seats, and move your new modular interior in saving you both a ton of money and a ton of headaches. For camping, windows make a world of difference. No normal person wants to spend their days in a windowless box with crummy ventilation, and if you open the doors, you get eaten by bugs. With opening windows, you can easily have bug screens, and don’t need to spend a fortune on roof vents either. A window van and a $20 fan is a much better choice than a couple of $200+ roof vents.

Windows can easily be covered if you want privacy, so you can have the best of both worlds.

For dimensions, go to a car lot and find a van you’d consider, and measure it. I don’t bother until I actually have one, then I can measure it’s exact dimensions if I want to, which I usually don’t bother. I just look at the space and visualize where I want my bed, my kitchen, my bathroom, and my work/lounge/dining area. Anything left over is extra storage space.

My “builds” are typically “no build builds” these days. Simply move your camping furniture in and secure it, and you’re done. If your needs change, you can rearrange appropriately. Much easier than having stuff built in, but it just looks built in. Another advantage is that I could easily transfer everything to a different van very quickly if the need arises. The advantages of modular and portable are HUGE.

Cheers!

"Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly." ~ Unknown