FNG - Hooty here

Hey group! I’m in the market for a van to get this whole thing started. Looking for pros and cons on what to buy, what to build, and how to build it. I figured a forum would be a great place to start. I’m a mountain biker and have seen some nice builds. Looks like something I could thoroughly enjoy. I look forward to reading, learning, and contributing.

Greetings & Welcome!

For most people, especially newbies, building your own camper van is bad advice. The promoters push it for their own benefit, not yours. They are hoping to make money off all the expensive purchases you’ll need to make.

For most people, a cheap older, factory camper van or motorhome is the best choice. They’re move in ready, and can be found cheap. They allow you to experiment, and see if you even enjoy the lifestyle, and if not can be sold with little or no loss.

Those instagram perfect vans that the promoters like to push actually make terrible campers in real life. They’re built for the looks and the WOW factor, not for practicality. Too many people spend multiple fortunes rebuilding their current vans multiple times, or starting over with different vans, because their builds wound up being uncomfortable or impractical. Good advice is great, but good old fashioned experience is probably still the best teacher, and gaining that experience as cheaply as possible is good advice.

Take things slow and easy, without risking your current job or living situation. Become a weekender to try it out. Never risk more than you can afford to lose.

Cheers!

"Smiles are contagious, pass it on!" ~ Van_Dweller