Flooring Question

Hey, I’m a know nothing who has wanted to vanlife for a while but now covid & the economy have made traditional living arrangements impossible for my partner and I.

So we got this Ford E150 for cheap and I took the seats / carpet out as you can see pictured below. My goal is to quickly get the flooring in so we have a ok place to sleep and I just wanted to share my plans so far / hear your ideas & thoughts. The complication is this subfloor that you can see they had beneath the carpet. My plan to deal with it is:

Keep this subfloor stuff in and fill holes with more of the same subfloor. Then I’d put kilz 3 floor sealant on top of that. Now the hard choice… do I just glue my laminate/vinyl product to the kilz 3 to save time or should I put a wood subfloor over that noise dampening subfloor which I sealed THEN glue the laminate/vinyl to the wood subfloor instead?

Hopefully this was easy to read and imagine. Thank you for all of the knowledge you share and I am always searching for how to pay it forward.

Greetings & Welcome!

I went the opposite route… My van was gutted when I bought it, so I went to wrecking yards to get what I needed to restore it to the factory carpet & padding, wall, window, & door panels etc.

I learned the hard way that non carpeted floors are much noisier while driving, COLD in the winter, and HOT in the summer. So I’m using washable, rubber backed throw rugs on top of my carpet. I use a non electric carpet sweeper, and/or wash or shake out the throw rugs.

Best solution I’ve found…

Cheers!

"The less you have that CAN go wrong, the less you have that WILL go wrong!" ~Murphy

Where do you get rubber back throw rugs? I probably know what you’re talking about but I can’t seem to think what it could be. You have pictures?

I have a $30 4x7 rug on top of my factory carpeting. I hate how it walks cuz then I have to move all of my furniture to put it back in place.

Greetings!

I just got them at a big box store. They might be called non-slip.

Once, when I had a rug that liked to creep, I got a roll of non-slip shelf/drawer liner, and put the rug on top of that. That solved the problem.

Cheers!

"The less you have that CAN go wrong, the less you have that WILL go wrong!" ~Murphy