Flooring for van build

Hi my name is Reid. My IG is @erratic_venture. Give me a follow and some advice on my build. I am laying the flooring right now and was wondering what everyone uses as the floor and what you use to keep it in?

1 Like

Greetings!

My choice doesn’t seem to be the most popular choice, but I prefer the stock carpet of a passenger van, with a washable, rubber backed carpet runner over the top. The runner will catch and hold anny spills until you can deal with it, and it’s easy enough to vacuum. My 1 gallon wet/dry 12v shop vac can suck it dry of any liquids almost instantly, and it can easily be thoroughly washed at any DIY car wash.

The main reason I prefer carpet, is it’s the best choice to not be freeziing cold in the winter, or blazing hot in the summer. I also enjoy the added cushioning.

Cheers!

I got a great tip from a fellow van dweller–I use foam flooring I bought from Walmart. It’s super simple to install, all I needed was a box cutter to fit the corners into place. It also provides decent insulation and although only about an 1.5" thick, I prefer this flooring because it doesn’t take away too much height from floor to ceiling (I’m 5’10" so I need every cm of headspace I can get!). It’s quite durable too! I often transport my mtn bike in my van and the inevitable mud is easily cleaned. I ended up using it in both the van and the bus. $15 a pop at your local wallyworld…possible to find it online too I bet. Happy flooring!

1 Like

That’s pretty interesting. Is the foam durable?

Hi! This may be a late reply but we used laminate floors! They were put in within 15 minutes. Simple tongue and groove that just click together. We just had to cut a few inches of a few of them to allow them to custom fit. Both simple and modern looking! Good luck :slight_smile:

Kelly
IG@KellyNicoleTravel

Greetings!

I like the looks of those foam mats. How are they in hot/cold weather?

Cheers!

"I can live like a king because I work like a dog." ~ An anonymous vandweller