Flooring for a conversion van

Hi! I have a 2004 Chevy Express conversion van. All seats have been removed, leaving an uneven mess of bolts sticking up higher than the existing carpet as well as square holes where the plates had been that supported the passenger seats.

So I’m looking for a relatively quick, easy and inexpensive flooring. I can’t do the work myself and my contractor guy is booked solid so can only squeeze in small jobs. Trying to keep it as low cost as possible.

I found a company called Bed Rug that makes bed liners and mats for vans, trucks and jeeps. They have two types, and I’m hoping you all will lend your experience and advice!

I will be traveling with a dog, so I am expecting more mud and dirt than just one human will create.

One option is their VanRug Cargo Mat, described on their site -https://bedrug.com/vanrug-cargo-mats/2004/chevrolet/express-1500

"With its custom foam backing the VanRug gives you the look and comfort of carpet, in an ultra-tough 100% polypropylene (essentially plastic) product. That means not only will it protect your van, it will provide impact and cargo protection and act as a heat and noise insulator. Your cargo won’t slide around and the tough material stands up to water (it won’t mold or mildew) stains and even harsh chemicals.

Die cut to fit your specific make and model, this cargo mat looks great and fits like a glove, creating a void-free surface without damaging your van. Just clean it with a hose, power washer or vacuum and your VanRug is good as new."

Second option is their VanTred Cargo Mat -
https://bedrug.com/vantred-cargo-mats/2004/chevrolet/express-1500

"With its custom foam backing the VanTred provides a rugged work surface. Not only will it protect your van, it will provide impact and cargo protection and act as a heat and noise insulator. Your cargo won’t slide around and the tough material stands up to water (it won’t mold or mildew) stains and even harsh chemicals.

Die cut to fit your specific make and model, this cargo mat looks great and fits like a glove, creating a void-free surface without damaging your van. Just clean it with a hose, power washer or vacuum and your VanTred is good as new."

I haven’t found many vanbuilds that have used them, just a few on YouTube, with a slight preference for the Van Rug rather than the VanTred, which is kind of how I’m leaning. I would probably put a throw rug or two down on top of it as well.

If you have any advice or experience to lend, I’d appreciate it! Thanks!

Greetings!

Well… Let’s take a look at this… You still have the original carpet & padding, but have bolts sticking up through it right? While I can’t picture the uneven floor, I use those bolts to secure my cabinets, bed, and other furniture. I keep the original carpet & padding intact, and just use throw rugs over the top of it.

If you have bolts sticking up where you don’t want them, they can be removed or cut off, just make sure you aren’t left with unplugged holes going to the outside.

I also try to keep the walls & ceiling intact if they aren’t trashed beyond salvation.

For my cabinets, I start by building a L out of plywood that will serve for the base and back of my cabinets, and secure them to the seat mounting points. Now I have plywood to securely attach my cabinets to without drilling any new holes into the van or damaging the floor/walls/ceiling in any way.

I can elaborate more if needed…

Of the two choices you listed, I too would choose the bed rug, if I couldn’t make the original floor work… That being said, by your description, you may still have to deal with solving the uneven floor & bolts problems.

Good Luck & keep us posted!

Cheers!

“Everything should be made as simple as possible." ~ Einstein

1 Like

Thanks, Van_Dweller!

Yes, the guy I’m paying will still have to deal with the bolts and plates. I had originally wanted him to do a subfloor with something like vinyl over it but the quote I got for the work was beyond my budget. The carpet that is in there now is pretty nasty, plus I think my dog would make it worse, so I thought either the VanRug or VanTred would be easier to keep relatively clean. And I am leaning toward the VanRug.

And yes, we will keep the walls and ceiling intact. Trying to go low budget but reasonably comfortable and sustainable.

Thanks for your consideration and advice!

1 Like

I would not use any carpet period unless it’s something you can take out and easily wash. If you spend anytime outside it’ll get trashed quickly especially with a dog. I would go with a rubber, vinyl, or wood solution here that would be easily cleaned and swept out.

1 Like

Greetings!

My carpet is in pretty worn shape too, but everywhere visable is covered by a carpet runner or throw rugs which are easily removable and washable. The original carpet & underlayment adds a great deal of soundproofing and insulation, and in the winter my floors are warm instead of being ice cold.

Places under the bed or cabinets are protected by the less than perfect carpet, but I also don’t need to be careful with it.

I use a hand held carpet sweeper, sometimes referred to as a crumb brush, to keep my carpet clean without the need for power. If I need a deep clean, I just use the vacuums at a carwash, and sometimes wash my removable rugs at a DIY car wash as well.

Cheers!

“Everything should be made as simple as possible." ~ Einstein

1 Like

Thank you! I have decided to ask my contractor guy to cut the bolts down, and fill in the holes left by the plates with insulation of some sort, just to get it all level. And I will use throw rugs that I can shake out, vacuum or hose off as needed. It’s a good, quick and inexpensive way for me to get started, and I can upgrade at a later date if I want. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Vov. I don’t get it, of course.