Finally finished

Been using my van for about a year, but now it’s finished. Last part of the puzzle was a kitchen, consisting of a small cabinet with a propane stove and sink built in. I use a 10-pound refillable propane bottle in a propane locker built into the cabinet, vented to the outside through the floor of the van. Made the sink from a stainless mixing bowl, supplied by a 7 gallon water jug and a 5 gallon gray water tank. The pump is a marine foot pump (Whale pump), so no electricity involved. Even though the propane locker is vented I installed an RV propane detector (It’s the white thing at the base of the cabinet). Also installed a small door with a gasket so I can reach in and turn off the propane bottle when it’s not being used. Hung some fireproof fiberglass cloth above it to protect the headliner. Building the cabinet was a lot of work because I was trying to minimize the size while still fitting everything in.

Greetings!

That looks pretty good. You might be able to put a wood TV tray beside it to give you more counter space if you need it, looks like about the right height.

I went the opposite route and opted for an empty counter top, and using portable burners and sinks, so they could be used both indoors & outside, and the counter top available for other uses as needed.

In westies, they had a flip up/down cover over the sink & stove, so it could be used as empty counter top. You might be able to do something similar if it would be advantageous for you.

You might also want to switch your fresh & gray jugs, or get a gray jug at least the size of the fresh one. When the gray one is smaller, it is all too easy to overflow it accidentally, and wind up with a mess.

Layouts can sure be challenging, getting everything you want to fit in such a small space. I’ve heard people refer to it as a game of tetris. :wink:

Cheers!

"There are those who learn, and those who wish they had learned." ~ Good2Know

I’m going to make a cover for the stove, which will give me more counter space - take it off and flip it over and it’s a serving tray. The sides will be wood, but the flat part will be cutting board material - will serve as a cutting board when it’s over the stove and a serving tray with 2-1/2" sides when it’s off.

There’s no room to switch the fresh and gray water tanks the way I have it laid out. I always consume more water than goes down the drain anyway. Will have to remember to empty the gray whenever I fill the fresh. But I was thinking about an overflow tub under the gray tank with a hose that empties below the van.

Greetings!

Cutting boards are handy, I have a big one that also fits over the arms of my handicap toilet to give me extra counter space when I need it. I also have one of those cutting mat things which also doubles as a semi large trivet. Really handy for when I take a large pan out of the oven.

An overflow tray for the gray water sounds like a good idea. I try hard to avoid unnecessary messes before they happen…

Cheers!

"There are those who learn, and those who wish they had learned." ~ Good2Know