Filming Documentary

Hello ,
My Name is Noura I found this interesting blog .
Unfortunately I Don’t own a Van & Didn’t live the van life .
I’m Documenty Filmmaking student based in Los Angeles .
I’m looking for story of person lives in Van in LA or Malibu , Santa Monica.
Could someone help me please .
Thank you ,

1 Like

Greetings!

If you don’t know how to spot people living in vans all over the place, you’re not qualified for the task you’ve chosen.

Research comes first, documentaries or filming comes much later.

Most of us prefer to fly under the radar.

Cheers!

"Opportunities are everywhere, but only action makes it happen." ~ Van_Dweller

Yes, research first.
One van lifer I follow is Chrome from Vancouver. His youtube handle is vancityvanlife I believe. He documented from beginning to present day. He’s a character. Watch him.
And yes, van lifers prefer to live under the radar. If they are outted, they can get kicked out of their place for the night. get ticketed.
Good luck with your documentary and let us know how it goes and when you release it!

Ahhh, the gift of articulating the obvious! Well said, Van_Dweller, well said. Some might think you a bit on the prickly side; but, you were awfully gentle with poor Noura. You could have asked if the subject/star of the documentary would be able to share in the potential bounty from said film.

Noura, if you are able to identify potential subjects, it would probably be helpful if you built up a trusting relationship before attempting to begin filming. That would probably fall under the category of “Research comes first…” that the wily old veteran of van dwelling - Van_Dweller - was referring to.

It doesn’t appear as if the somewhat reclusive nomads are stampeding to star in your film. Look around and make some friends before you go thinking about Cannes.

Good luck buddy (although I’m not exactly sure that you are ready to find the intersection of opportunity and preparedness, which is how some define “luck”).

1 Like

Hi Noura! Your request has just come before me, and I am noticing it was in fact a year ago. So I don’t know if timing is on point with this. But I am an actor, aspiring. And I do in fact live in a van in Santa Monica/ Malibu. If this is something you are still wanting to do, let me know!

@Van_Dweller

Well that was rude! She did qualify herself as a student and interested in talking to anyone willing to come foward and join her project. Your reply was knee jerk and way out of line. Her research IS talking with a van tennant. You remind me of a church lady busybody. Calm down, you dont have to reply to each thread.