Exploratory Phase

Introduce Yourself…

Hi I’m Drenda and I’m still in the exploratory stage of Van life and hope to be in one within the next 3 years. My goal is to be able to travel and work remotely from anywhere.
Hoping to learn from those of you who are already out there on the road.

2 Likes

Greetings & Welcome!

Lot’s of great people here to answer any and all of your questions.

Be very careful, Youtube, Instagram, and many other forums and resources do NOT accurately reflect van life. Most are focused on getting you to spend as much money as possible, and neglect to tell you the down sides. It isn’t all rainbows & roses, and the cheapest vans and builds, or factory built campers are usually the best.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

Hi Drenda. Welcome at this forum. I hope you will get right piece of advice here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @Hinterlady! Welcome! I have some info about remote work on my site: How To Make Money Living Van Life as a Digital Nomad | Vacay Vans

I think the most successful people doing remote work have several coals in the fire-- for example I have about 4-5 different jobs that help support me and I’m always taking on new opportunities. Are you in a 8-5? Maybe try doing some freelancing now to shift into more remote work. Hope this helps!!

1 Like

Greetings!

Re: Money…

• MONEY FIRST!!! Everything else comes later!
  • NEVER TAKE ANY UNNECESSARY RISKS!
  • PROPER PLANNING IS ESSENTIAL!
  • PREPARE FOR THE WORST!
  • PREPARE FOR ALL TYPES OF WEATHER!
  • HAVE MULTIPLE BACKUP PLANS!
  • HAVE MULTIPLE EMERGENCY FUNDS!
    (Car repair & maintenance, food, emergency lodging, money to return to normal life, money to last between jobs, etc. etc.)

Two of my favorite write-ups about making money for nomads are below.

http://pdxweb.com/vandweller/making_money_on_the_road.pdf

http://pdxweb.com/vandweller/making_money_online.pdf

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

1 Like

Thanks ! I appreciate it !

Hi Drenda,

How exciting! when we started doing research we reached out to many people who were already living the lifestyle and asked questions-tons of questions! We used YouTube as a resource as well to learn about the good and bad about van life. Many people authentically share what their experience is like. Just like anything, it’s not all rainbows and butterflies but after being in our van for 2 months now, we really love the lifestyle. Things happen on the road and things go wrong with the van. It’s life and it’s no different than something going wrong in your home. If you have any questions for us or if we could be of assistance, don’t hesitate to ask.

1 Like