Exhaust/intake fans and vents - a return to a much discussed topic

Before I finish the insulation and paneling, I’ve got two possible locations for an exhaust fan. The most likely part is near the rear on the starboard side, which will be over where my bed is going to be. It’ll be a murphy style bed, thin 4" thick pad in a frame, and the bed will probably cover the fan opening when driving. I’m looking for brand suggestions (ordering in the US) that has rain-proof louvres or a cover, also can switch between intake/exhaust.

The van is a 2003 Savana, and I’m about ready to start working on that wall.
Another (also possible additional) location is in the wall of the rear driver’s side door. That one would be solar, and mostly to keep air circulating while driving. Unlikely to be more than me and my dog sleeping in there.

While this van is partly for sleeping, and road trips, the plan is a mobile jewelry bench I can take to shows or craft fairs. While working inside the van, ventilation is critical (torch use, etc) so there will be times that just a couple open windows will not be enough. With the right conditions, when parked and working at the bench one or both of the rear doors will be open, with tarped canopy for outside work. Cooking is unlikely to be much indoor stuff.

Not really interested in a roof vent. While yes it’s been horrible hot lately, today at 102*F parked in the sun, since I’ve got the ceiling, port side wall and floor insulated and sealed, 'though it was hot, especially with the floor done (finished it yesterday) I’ve noticed it’s no more than outside temp inside now. So likely something wall mounted, as I asked about in the first paragraph, should be enough.

Greetings!

Do you have opening windows in the rear doors?

Cheers!

"Old school, cheap, simple, reliable, and easily replaceable for the win!" ~ Traveler@Heart

No. Standard non-opening Savana/Express window doors, non-opening.

Greetings!

Could they be easily replaced with opening ones out of a passenger van?

With opening back windows, I measured them, then went to wally world and found a clear plastic container just the size to fit over one. I cut a hole in the bottom just the size to fit my 10" 12v fan also from walmart. The I covered the lid side of the container with screen to keep the bugs out. I made a hinge on top out of velcro & duct tape, so it can be easily opened to open or close the window, or remove it so I can use the fan as a regular fan. It works exceptionally well, and is rainproof.

Cheers!

"Old school, cheap, simple, reliable, and easily replaceable for the win!" ~ Traveler@Heart

I took a quick look online and didn’t see anything. Also didn’t see any options when I was looking to replace those doors at the local salvage yard. (The locks and latches were toast and it was easier to just buy doors off a junked similar model Chevy Express, they’re exactly the same just functional.)

That’s why I’m looking for exhaust suggestions. I’ll also, as I noted, be doing jewelry work in the van - so exhaust of some kind will be necessary. There will be times when the weather won’t be right for just having the doors open.

Greetings!

Are there windows in the back doors at all?

Cheers!

Standard Savana/Express van doors. They are replaceable but not openable.

Greetings!

Try this link:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiLlrqlu77yAhV9FjQIHfsWBhkQwqsBegQIBxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXuhjcx348ck&usg=AOvVaw0wgRckErp0NJueyBm_dOGk

If your local wrecking yard doesn’t have it, many of them are connected and can find what you want if you ask for it.

Cheers!

We replaced the roof vent in our 2003 Pleasure Way RV with a Fan Vent Tastic. This completely changed my RV! It can suck the stinky air out in just a few minutes. I paired mine with a few solar panels and left it on all day. It consumes only 18 watts on low, 26 watts on medium, and over 30 watts on high.
We replaced the roof vent in our 2003 Pleasure Way RV with a fan vent, the Fan-Tastic Vent 3-Speed. This completely changed my RV! It can suck the stinky air out in just a few minutes. I paired mine with a few solar panels and left it on all day. It consumes only 18 watts on low, 26 watts on medium, and over 30 watts on high.

I bought one of the MaxxAir roof vent fans for my Caravan but haven’t installed it yet. After buying it I was thinking it was probably most useful once you start cooking inside the vehicle.

Not so much otherwise. It’s a big leap cutting that big hole in the roof and it’s nearly impossible to go back once you do. Waiting to read more about the benefits before I do. Meanwhile, it’s here in the box waiting.

I do not think we ever turned or maxxair fan off, except when driving. They’re great, but only great if you have another opening for the fan to push and pull air through. Pro tip, just take off the inside screen, it can push and pull a lot more air that way as it is unrestricted.

It really can keep you van a lot cooler and a lot drier even when running on low. It also does help with cooking if you cook inside.

You’ll be able to save yourself money by keeping the fan speed at a setting of your liking. As someone who enjoys having control, this feature of the vent fan is extremely useful in my situation.Plus, it has a CFM rating of 900, which is more than enough to quickly change the temperature inside my RV.