Electrics Advice UK van

Hi we recently bought a T5 panel van and have been converting it into a camper. I’m trying to do the build myself. But kinda stumped on the electrics. Not really sure what to buy/ where to start.

1 Like

Hi. Try this guy [https://www.travelvolts.net/]

Martin did mine and very happy. He’s very busy though and think away in September.

1 Like

Thank you ill I’ve a look at them. :+1:t4:

Greetings!

After having multiple rigs and multiple types of power setups, including solar, and what comes with motorhomes, the system I have now is absolutely the simplest and the cheapest, but I like it the best. It has proven itself to be the most reliable, and the simplest way to have more power than I’ll ever need.

It goes like this:

• Starting battery to isolator/relay/solenoid
  • Isolator to house battery
  • House battery in marine style battery box
  • Attached to house battery is a battery to accessory outlet adapter (or 2)
  • Plugged into the acc. outlet is a 1-4 acc. outlet adapter.
  • 4 outlets attached to side of battery box with double faced foam tape.
    Can duplicate on other side to have 8 acc. outlets.
    On mine each acc. outlet also has a switch. (optional)

99% of the time, just with minimal driving, my house battery always has plenty of power. For prolonged boondocking with no driving, I added:

• Cheap, quiet, no name, inverter generator. (Got 3k watts for $99)
  • Cheap shore power battery charger.

I cut the cord on the battery charger going to the battery, and spliced in a male and female acc. outlet, male end on the charger side, female end on the battery side. This allows me to plug the battery charger into my existing acc. outlets on the side of my battery box, but still gives me functionality of the battery charger for other uses.

The generator will run for about 8 hours on a gallon of gas, and it only takes about a half hour per week of running the generator to keep the house battery charged. Generator and battery charger are also capable of charging the starting battery if the need arises. If I need shore power for anything (rarely), the generator supplies it without the need of an inverter, or the drain on my house battery.

Total cost was under $200. My house battery is a $18 deep cycle battery from a junkyard.

Hope this helps…

Cheers!

2 Likes

Awesome :ok_hand:t4: Thank you.

1 Like