Dog temperature control

Looking for tips on what people have found with temperature control to make the environment habitable for dogs. I have a little fluffy dude and I may leave him (not for extended periods) in the van and wanted to know if any of you guys have experience making sure the dog would be OK and not cook.

The MaxxAir seems to come highly recommended, and I will get that if I need, but honestly I would prefer not to spend quite that much. I am also concerned about the solar panel (200watt) in the UK’s not incredible amount of sun, and if it could reliably run it?

2 Likes

Greetings!

Let’s start by asking what type of van you have, a cargo van, or a window van with lots of opening windows in the back?

If you have a window van, you can get a 10" O2Cool 12v fan at Walmart for under $20, and crack your front windows, and open a back window and place the fan in it blowing outwards to draw air through the whole van. Much more effective than even 2 roof vents.

If you have a cargo van, basically you’re screwed. Even with two expensive roof vents, you’re only going to cool maybe the top foot of the van just a little bit. Cracking the front windows can help a little, but it will never compare to the ventilation available in a window van.

Your first choice should be to only park in the shade, never in the sun. In the shade, your van shouldn’t heat up to any more than the outside temperature. In the sun, it doesn’t take long for the van to heat up to 50°f+ hotter than the outside temperature.

Also available are cooling wraps & bandannas for dogs:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cooling+wraps+for+dogs&i=pets&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

And cooling pads for dogs:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cooling+pads+for+dogs&i=pets&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Similar things are also available for us people, plus there are also 12v heating & cooling seat pads and blankets available.

Finally, if you need to keep the whole van cool while camped out inside without the engine running, 12v swamp coolers work great and require very little power. In the desert, direct swamp coolers work best, in humid areas, indirect swamp coolers work the best. With my indirect swamp cooler, I can lower the inside temp to about 50°f below the outside temperature, and lower the humidity level by up to 70%. My home built swamp cooler draws under 2 amps @ 12v DC. It sits inside, in front of an open window, plugs into a cigarette/accessory plug, and has 3 speeds. On low, it draws under 1 amp, which is enough to maintain a comfortable temperature even when parked in direct sunlight. You do need your front window down about half way, so it could potentially be a security concern.

Cheers!

"The money to live comfortably is the best medicine in the world." ~ Road_Money

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the response :slight_smile:
It is a windowed van, but only the front windows roll down though the back opens on (not sure what they are called) clips that hold both side windows sat open to a few inches. Do you think it could be possible to work with that? Sounds like a good option.
The swamp cooler also sounds like it’s worth investigating, doggo has cooler bandana a cooling pad again a good shout, thanks again :grinning:

Greetings!

Tip open windows work fine. Mine tip out at the bottom, so I put my 10" fan on the ledge created by the open window, and then have a suction cup near the top of the window that I fasten the handle too.

Just depending on your van, a 6" clip on fan might be a better fit. They won’t move as much air, but they may be handier to mount. On occasion, I have hung a small L shaped shelf bracket from a suction cup on the window, then attached a clip on fan to the shelf bracket. Other times I was able to hang the fan directly from the suction cup. Depends on the fan and the suction cup…

Cheers!

"The money to live comfortably is the best medicine in the world." ~ Road_Money

1 Like

I’ve seen some tips from a caravan people before: Park in a shade, cover windows that are in sun side with (reflecting) material and open shade side windows partially.

At least for some vans there are window vents (example: Reimo Hülsberg Mercedes Vito 2014+ Window Air Vent Grills for Campers – The Camperco Shop ) - I think it would not be that hard to make one that fits your van.

1 Like

Greetings!

Wow, those are spendy! I just got these and made my own:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Amerimax-Snap-In-Gutter-Filter-PVC-Gutter-Screen-6-5-in-x-3-ft/50040808

Cheers!

"Time used wisely earns money, friendships, and happiness,
but time wasted can't buy anything but misery." ~ Travlin' Tom

2 Likes

Cheers guys, going with the window fan option, bought one to try out but waiting for me to get further in the build to finalise which fan I am using. At least I know what I am aiming for now :slight_smile:

You’re planning on leaving your pup in a metal box that covered with windows and will take on heat like a greenhouse… a maxxair should only the the start of what you do to ensure the health and safety of your furry friend.

The maxxair or something similar installed in the roof is the only way you’re going to offgass the hottest air that collects in the highest parts of the van.
You should really be looking at A/C and even then should only be leaving the little guy for short stints of time as things go wrong.

If your planning on living in a van with a dog than please be responsible. When you leave the van, take the dog with you. When leaving the dog in the van, stay with the dog.

Is that sometimes inconvenient? Yes.
Would you lock your child inside a hot van during the day? No

We also travel with our lab and so when we bought our B we got the generator so we would have the option to run the A/C without shore power. It has worked well for us.
Also invest in a monitor you carry with you to set off an alarm in case the air/generator/fan goes off.I believe you are responsible, but better be safe than sorry!

Greetings!

Generators are on my “ESSENTIALS” list, even though mine sees very minimal use.

Cheers!

"Smiles are contagious, pass it on!" ~ Van_Dweller

I purchase the first SensorPush back in 2018, I got the HT1. The setup was easy, the app worked without a glitch. I have since purchased 3 more sensors along with the Wifi unit so I can monitor my dogs when they are at home and I am not. One thing I love about this pet monitor is its temperature accuracy. It provides a credible temperature reading (up to 0.5 degrees Fahrenheit fidelity). I do not need to rush to my motorhome when the RV temperature sensor alarm blasts a loud noise, only to find out that the ambient temperature is lower than what the device shows.

This pet monitor is perfect for anyone who does not appreciate getting tied to a subscription plan. In addition, My favorite is the exportable data. I can upload it to Google Sheets or MS Excel and analyze the room parameters to help me plan for a more comfortable environment for our pet.

What fans are you using with such a low amp draw? Ive been searching fans for an hour and most all of them are 80 Watts each or almost 7 Amps for each fan for a total of 14 Amps. How many CFM? Thanks

Greetings!

My apologies for the late reply, I’ve been out of town for a while.

What do you mean by “media”?

Don’t know the actual CFM, but I run it on high for initial cool down, then like a gentle breeze to maintain the desired temperature.

I couldn’t find the exact fan that I have, but then I’ve had it for a long time so maybe that model isn’t being sold anymore. It is similar to this one, except without the built in battery:

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

Media is the material the water flows thru. If you could find the fan model number that would be great, i can try and search the fan specs. I’d really like to have a starting point for fan cfm to replicate what I you’ve done. All the fans that I’ve found have been 80 watts which is a lot more amp draw.

I already have an O2Cool 10" fan, but that doesn’t seem like enough air, but thats just my thought.

Thanks, Bret

Greetings!

10" is about the same size fan as the expensive roof vents have, and I would say they move a similar amount of air.

The exact fan I have doesn’t seem to be available any more. It’s an older model that is ac/dc/ and has a contaner for 8 D size batteries for power options.

I don’t have any experience with the newer models, so can’t speak to their power. Fantastic sells a fan, the “Endless Breeze” I think it’s called. It’s the identical fan to what’s in their roof vents. Mine is 10+ years old, and uses just over 2 amps on high, and just over 1 amp on low.

Maybe the newer fans are requiring more power… Have you looked into 12v radiator fans?

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller