Daily camper DIY tips

Have intended to buy me a van in the size of the VW Caravelle / Ford Transit Tourneo in the future and use it as a tour car or a daily camper. The car will be used as a regular family car at 80% but on occasions during the weekends it will be used as an excursion car where you can go away and eat or have coffee in the car. Had intended to remove the third row of seats and install benches on the sides and a table in the middle. This should also be able to easily convert into a bed. Ideally, I want this in the car constantly so you don’t have to “build” the car every time you go on a day trip.

Had also planned to sleep over 2-3 nights in it sometimes but then supplement with awning. The family consists of two adults and three children.

Would be very glad if you guys/girls could give me tips, guide lines or pictures of a similar project.

Greetings!

Two adults and three children are going to be miserable in any type of camper van. Simply not enough room. Use the van for transportation and get a big tent and camping supplies. Otherwise you’ll need a larger motor home or a trailer. Some of the lightweight tent type trailers might work for you, and be easily towable by your van. Such a trailer can give you the needed beds, a kitchen, bathroom, and dining area.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

Thanks for the reply! Of course, I understand that using it as a camping van becomes difficult. If I go camping a few days, I will equip it with a large drive away awning tent with the equipment I need. The car then becomes an extension with two sleeping places. I will use it most for day trips in a few hours … which is enough for children … and the parents. I do not see that it would be difficult to get a seat in the back of a table with couches at the sides. Do not intend to cook in it or the like. If the kids need to go to the toilet there is a forest or a porta potty.

Buying a finished module is so incredibly expensive and wondering if someone built something like this?

Greetings!

As long as you’re not trying to live and sleep everyone in it, the build shouldn’t be too difficult.

Depending on laws in your area though, getting it legal might be a problem. Some countries don’t allow non factory seating for passengers.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

I will keep middle row seating so that the children sit there while traveling. Thought to remove the third row of seats and place benches on each side and a table in the middle … just to use when the car is stationary. Is there enough room for this? Know that I have to buy a long version of a Ford Tourneo Custom or VW Caravelle.

Greetings

That could work.

Cheers!

"I can live like a king because I work like a dog." ~ An anonymous vandweller