Chicagoan’s first build

Hi, thanks for having me on the boards! My name is Slavi, I live in Chicago. Recently quit my job to start a roofing business but I didn’t plan properly in order to be licensed this season, so I’m doing odd things for friends while trying to find clients that don’t care about licenses, however this can’t last much longer.

I am presently working on a project upgrading a very basic build (no water, cooking etc.) for a friend of a friend and I find myself having tons of fun. i’ve became interested in possibly making a business out of this and was wondering if anyone on here cares to share any insights into how I might go about doing that.

Also I am hoping this will be a good place to post some pictures of what we end up making and get some praise or criticism from people in the know. Looking forward to scouring your posts for helpful info.

Cheers, Slavi

3 Likes

Greetings & Welcome!

Looking forward to some pics!

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

Sorry, work has been sporadic and I forgot to take pix. Lots of trips to stores. Ended up making this bed/couch thing thus far. Only got this one picture from a couple of days ago, I was trying to reuse as much of the lumber I could from the old one but ended up having to buy all new wood and remaking it. Used to be one of those box pullout things with no backrest.

250lb per pair locking industrial slides from amazon - has a little give, we may add a folding leg. The backrest also swings forward to allow access to storage compartments from above. It’s rough work, but we cut some of the edges of the frame that will be exposed with a round over bit after assembly.

We have since wrapped the two box ends with plywood and left the long side open. Made two drawer trays for back area and the front will house 2 batteries, inverter etc.

There is also an additional storage bin being worked on with a pole that will have instrument cases strapped to it and I need to figure out how to raise a countertop without completely remaking the cabinet. Will take and post more pix before we get going on Wednesday.

Thanks for checking in!
Cheers

Greetings!

Looks like things are coming along! I agree with some legs, I don’t like trusting slides with a lot of weight.

You can cut a counter top an inch or two from the back side and add hinges…

Good luck & keep us posted!

Cheers!

Love the slide bed/ couch construction!

I’m still figuring out what I want to do with mine.
The bed is 150cm/180cm
I’m 184cm so it has to slide out for 40cm.
The counter tops, one 40cm and the other 60 cm.

2023-02-05 16_21_17-IKEA keukenplanner

How does your slide work? Is the weight on the rails?

Can I just slide mine on top of the counter top you think? Or would it need some kind of construction. And something for not scratching the counter top I guess.

Also looking for the right mattress. Which one did you use?

Greetings!

Those sliding slat beds were scrapped 70 years ago because people hated them, and the design should have never been revived. Better designs had two single pieces, sliding over/under each other, or hinged with legs under the front lip to support the extension. In the 70’s, the rock & roll hinges were created in several different styles. I tend to prefer the hinged 50’s-60’s style because both the seat back & bottom were angled for maximum comfort, and the conversion was simple, smooth, effortless, and trouble free.

How does your slide work? Is the weight on the rails?

The weight is ALWAYS on the rails, and with the length of the bed, they will tend to sag in the middle without substantial support work.

Can I just slide mine on top of the counter top you think? Or would it need some kind of construction. And something for not scratching the counter top I guess.

I would mount sturdy supports for the slideout portion to the side walls just above the countertops, or if resting on the countertops, add rubber feet or felt padding to the bottom of the bed extension to protect the countertops.

Have you given any thought to the idea that you might want to access the garage from the top, by lifting the bed? The lack of that option seems to be a major complaint.

From your layout above, I can’t quite tell your planned uses for the table, for the front seats, or from the bench behind, maybe both? Regardless, the table leg seems to be in a terribly poor location. The biggest advantage of lagun style tables is that the legs can be placed where they are out of the way. Preferably at the corner of a seat or cabinet rather than in the middle of the floor.

Does the bench behind the table have a back? Comfortable seating is often an overlooked but very important feature. Front seats tend to get uncomfortable much quicker than normal seats designed for working or lounging. We can get stuck inside our vans for days for various reasons, and comfortable seating makes those days much more enjoyable. At some point you may be working a remote job from inside your van too. Comfortable seating is just as important as a comfortable bed, since the majority of the time inside our vans is spent either seated or sleeping, so planning appropriately helps.

Cheers!