Carpet or cladding for walls?

I’m looking into getting a van converted and wondered what the pros/cons are of carpeted walls vs wooden cladding?
Does the carpet get damp, go mouldy, smelly? Is it easy to clean? I’m told the one the converter uses is moisture proofed so this shouldn’t be a problem but first hand experiences would be appreciated.
Likewise with wooden cladding - does it absorb moisture and thus become warped? Does it end up ‘popping’ out of place due to the rough rides on our UK roads? Is it harder to maintain due to needing painting/oiling/varnishing regularly?
What are people’s experiences with the different types of wall covering, any gotchas I should be aware of?
Thanks in anticipation

I went with a 1/4 inch thick wall paneling with a finished one face so no other finishing is required, all done, carpet no thanx, harder to maintain for me, and if u get it wet or stained to much work to clean up, go paneling Thats just my opinion,

Greetings & Welcome!

I like carpet on my floor, it helps insulate, and keeps the weight down low.

On the walls or ceiling it can be heavy and harder to keep clean. Even on the floor, I have a throw rug on top of mine, so I can take it out to clean it.

I like to use waterproofed luan for the walls & ceiling. It’s relatively cheap, light weight, and somewhat flexible. Gluing it to foam insulation can add to it’s strength, and make it pretty durable.

When doing full conversions, I sandwich foam boards between sheets of luan. This creates lightweight yet structurally sound sheets. I even build all of the cabinets & furniture out of these to create lightweight yet durable builds.

I prefer modular builds, move it in and secure it, rather than actually building it in. I could move my whole “build” to a new van within a couple of hours, or change my floorplan if needed, without having to tear everything out and start over.

Too many people go through multiple builds trying to get it right. Movable furniture can help solve that problem.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller