Can the stock Trans/Air unit run on battery alone?

Just picked up an E450 shuttle bus with a Trans/Air conditioning unit built into the rear wall. It currently runs off the V-10 engine and that is a very expensive and inconvenient power supply. My question is this:
Is is possible to run this A/C unit off batteries alone ? Or do I need to look at other options?

It probably could with a large enough bank and a huge inverter. But it would kill your batteries. Likely you’ll need a generator and I believe most of the overhead AC’s (not sure on yours) require at least 3500 watts to start (compressor and fan kickining in) and ~1800 to run. You can also look into a soft start that allows you to use a smaller generator to run the AC with. Good luck!

Greetings!

It all depends on whether it is using the engine driven A/C compressor, or is a stand alone unit. If it’s stand alone, then all you need to do is supply the appropriate power to it.

Cheers!

"Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly." ~ Unknown

Thanks for both of the inputs. I think we’ll leave it alone and use some type of evaporative cooling method.

Greetings!

I’m a big supporter of evaporative cooling. Mine works really well, and is extremely energy efficient as well.

Cheers!

"Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly." ~ Unknown