Alert From Quartzsite, AZ Police Department!!!
"Quartzsite Police Department is warning for everyone to be on the lookout for card skimming devices. We have recovered a couple that have appeared around town. If you see a suspicious card reader do not use it and report it immediately.
A card skimming device can be attached to an ATM or the card reader on a fuel dispenser head. It can be used to capture information from the debit or credit card that’s inserted or swiped. Perpetrators use the information illegally collected to make purchases or withdraw money from the customer’s account.
Some ways to avoid skimmers:
• Pay in cash inside the store to ensure credit card information stays safe.
• Check to make sure the gas pump dispenser cabinet is closed and has not been tampered with.
• Use a gas pump closer to the front of the store. Thieves often place skimmers at the gas pumps farther away from the store.
• Use a credit card instead of a debit card. Credit cards have better fraud protection, and the money is not deducted immediately from an account.
• If using a debit card at the pump, choose to run it as a credit card instead of entering a PIN number. That way, the PIN number is safe.
• Monitor bank accounts regularly to spot any unauthorized charges.
• Consumers who suspect their credit card number has been compromised should report it immediately to authorities and their credit card companies"