About to Graduate College and Move into my Van

Hi Everyone!

I am Joe and I am moving into my van after I graduate from Princeton this spring. I am planning on traveling the country to explore the remaining places in the United States that have dark skies. I am currently doing economic research on the factors that influence light pollution, and I am extremely passionate about night sky preservation.

In August, I bought Amber, my Ford E150 that is a retired ambulance… the name Amber is short for Amberlance, but many of my friends like to joke that it is because of the Amber Alert that will be called on my big white van!

Anyways, I am very excited to become a part of the van community and see all of your posts. I am very new with woodworking and electrical systems, and would love to get some help on these topics. I would also love to hear more about ways that I can sustain my life in my van.

I look forward to speaking with all of you here and hopefully meeting some of you on the road!

Best,
Joe & Amber

Greetings & Welcome!

Reliable income should always come first and foremost. Some people like myself, work mainly online, (I do remote computer repairs & Tune-ups), allowing unrestricted travel as long as you have an internet connection. (Not always easy away from towns!) Many work regular jobs and only travel during time off. Some work regular or temp jobs to save enough to travel for awhile, then rinse and repeat.

An emergency fund is VERY important! I suggest one large enough to repair/replace everything, enough to live on for a minimum of 6 months, and enough to get you into an apartment for at least 6 months. While I’m not good at predicting the future, it is within my power to be prepared for the worst case scenario. I won’t trust my future to some insurance company.

Get your health care figured out. Unexpected medical bills wipe out many people. Long term planning and security is much more important than short term goals like traveling. Too many people wait until it’s too late. Plan and start saving for retirement immediately, as well as for a house if that’s one of your goals.

NOW is the time to establish yourself in the work force. Within a few short years, you will be much less desirable, especially without experience. The first 5+ years of your work life can help or harm you for the rest of your life. For now, it’s better to chase your dreams on your time off, unless you can work remotely. Even if you are working remotely, be sure to get your 40+ hours a week in.

Cheers!

"The spaceship Earth is not designed for passengers,
only working crew members." ~ GoodLivin