2000 Chevy express 1500 w/ 206k miles

Hi there, first post so forgive me if this isn’t in the right place. I’ve been scouring for a van to convert into a camper on a low (very low) budget and came across a 2000 Chevy express 1500 for $1500 on Craigslist. I will be looking at it tomorrow, but according to the seller it runs fine, just needs an oil change and something to do with the filter? Not exactly sure, he wasn’t precise. It has 206k miles on it. My question is, is this van going to live very long with that many miles, and what should ask the seller/look out for? What can I expect As far as long term repairs and maintenance, and is the low cost worth it? Also, there is some painting wearing off on one side, should I be concerned about rust? I will definitely get a pre-purchase inspection and a carfax report, but any insight here is very much appreciated, I’m new to van life and have a lot to learn. Thank you!!

Greetings & Welcome!

200k+ miles is a lot for that van… Sounds to me like a case where they’re tired of it being a money pit, so want to dump it on some unsuspecting victim. If it was a good van, it would likely be priced at least double that.

A 1500 is a lightweight van, a 2500 or 3500 would be a better choice. Is it a cargo van, a passenger van, or a conversion van? A cargo van will cost a whole lot more to convert than the other two choices, and make a much inferior, less stealthy, and less comfortable camper. Windows make a world of difference, all positive, and their finished interiors will save you a fortune of both time and money in the conversion process.

If you follow the promoter’s, converting a van can be very very expensive, and not a good idea for someone low on funds. By comparison, my conversion cost under $300 and I have more amenities and more comfort than what the promoters would have you spending $10k+ on.

For most people, a cheap, older motorhome will give you the best bang for your bucks. You can find really nice, move in ready ones for under $2500. I have owned a number of them over the years, and every one of them was an outstanding value for the price paid. A move in ready, running, driving, fully self contained house on wheels in excellent condition, and all of them were under 100k miles when I bought them. Most of them had barely even ever been used, they were just old, but in the case of motorhomes, older also means better built. Built in the days when quality and durability were important.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Cheers!

"It is always cheaper and easier to conserve power than it is to make it." ~ Road Warrior

Thanks for the response! It’s an 8 passenger van with a high top and many windows. Yes, I’m wary of the mileage as well. I will keep looking for sure, and a motorhome is a great idea.

1 Like

I know this is an older post, but a question that is bound to come up again. If I were the buyer, I would ask the seller to leave it untouched (cold) before I got there. I would rent a scan tool from the local auto parts store to verify that it’s @ ambient temp. I would start it and listen for any unusual noises. A cold start at that mileage might produce some piston slap or lifter ticking that should go away as oil pressure comes up and the engine warms. Any ticking or knocking that doesn’t go away after several minutes may mean it is time to walk away. Use the scan tool from the auto parts store to scan for fault codes. Use it also to make sure all the emission monitors have been run. You can ask your mechanic or parts counterperson how to do this. Finally look under for significant fluid leaks from the engine, transmission or diff. Leaks between the engine and trans can be expensive. Trans should engage in all gears with no hesitation. When test driving, trans should shift smoothly with no delay.Any issues here can be expensive. Make sure there is no grinding or whining from the rear axle. Check all fluid levels and condition. Don’t be afraid to walk away is it doesn’t feel right.

1 Like

Hi! I was curious where you would recommend looking for a motorhome in that price range that would give you the best chance at getting something reliable?

Old thread but an update is in order. I have a 2006 Chevy conversion van. It is a 1500. You do not need a 3500/1 Ton van. It would be very expensive to repair, and all parts for the 1500 are everywhere. A 3500 is also hard on gas, and tires. I did the air bags in rear and bought 17 inch tires with air shocks on front with a 1 inch lift kit. This gives me the best of both worlds. In some states you are charged a premium for 1 ton tags also, so it is just more costly all around. Plan your build around lite materials like cedar that also repels bugs. Also you can do a complete insulated wood or carpet covered van with a small frig and solor with a 800-1100 pound increase that your van can easily handle just because it was built to do that.If you are goung to be hauling big heavy loads or towing over 3800 pounds then you might need a 1 ton. Forget motorhomes. A cargo trailer or a van is much more well built to last. I have seen beautiful cargo trailers from 6x10 to 8 x14 that are easy to tow and they last without the headaches of a motorhome. A real well made /expensive motor can be a different story, but still costly and 6-8 MPG gasoline and 9-12mpg diesel I guess if you can afford to take the depreciation hit it can be a first class way to travel.