I’m starting this thread to share my planned upgrades to my camper van. It’s a 1982 Dodge ram van with a fibre glass topper.
I’m not doing a total gutting or “build” of the van, which seems to be what most of the builds are on here. So I wanted to share my planned upgrades so that people know they don’t have to do everything from scratch - or all at once!
My to-do list:
- Buy and install new coach battery (old one was toast due to a short that I found and fixed)
- Rip out old-old carpet (the original shag carpet is still evident inside the bottoms of some storage areas and is gross and dusty)
- Rip out slightly newer carpet (main flooring area has a low pile carpet which looks to have replaced the old shag carpet) and small section of linoleum and lay down new flooring
- Scrape off all old sealant around windows, clean and re-seal
- Build compartment for the small toilet (needs to be secured or it slides around)
- Build storage in the back/trunk area
- Paint some of the surfaces to lighten up the interior (feels dark to me so some lighter paint should help with that)
- Make window coverings with reflectix to help with keeping the van cooler on hot days
- Replace the bed cushions with new foam and fabric
So that’s what I need to work on! Or at least what I HOPE to achieve this summer… Winters in Canada will see this baby in storage - so I have to both use it for fun short trips this summer and also find time to do these upgrades.
Will try to post how I do things and photos of the process on here.
Wish me luck!
Edited: to add in the new bed/seat cushions I forgot to include!