Ventilation without windows

Greetings!

So you’re saying that on solar alone, you’ve achieved those long battery lives? If this is accurate you are one of the very very lucky few.

Your camping setup makes sense, the battery tender is making the difference, but I’m having a hard time understanding your HAM setup… Is it solar only or not? Why would you use solar at home when electricity is so much cheaper and readily available?

Most people whose batteries make it past a year or two also utilize other charging methods that more correctly charge their batteries, usually either an isolator, shore power, or a generator, all of which make a huge difference in battery life.

Also, batteries living in vehicles are subject to much more abuse than batteries at home or in a garage.

Cheers!

"Swamp coolers for the win to beat the heat." ~Road Warrior

My ham radio setup was solar/battery until around six months ago when I started using an old tube-type transmitter more; it plugs into the mains. I still have solar/battery capability with other radios. Some operators, including myself, are members of the Amateur Radio Emergency Service which provides emergency communications, in my case for the county emergency operations center. Part of that is having off-grid capability for the radios. Most of our work, since communications emergencies are not especially common, is providing comms for events such as marathons, bike races, etc. We have a system of operators, digital and voice repeaters, and more and more these days - off-grid non internet dependent digital communications. We also have pretty good HF (shortwave) long distance (worldwide) capability. All volunteer work.

I think the key is to not abuse the battery. My charge controllers do a proper job of charging, going into float mode once a preset voltage is reached etc. I rarely deep-discharge my batteries, and never to the point that it would damage them. They’ll last quite a long time if they’re not discharged too much and are slowly brought back up with a multi-stage controller. Batteries that are subjected to deep discharges every day won’t last long. I’m curious to see how well the newer lithium-iron-phosphate chemistries work in regards to this. The new technology seems promising. I’ve had a LiFePO starting battery in one of my motorcycles for about six years now, and it’s still going strong despite abuse that would have killed a lead-acid battery many times over.

Greetings!

I was a REACT and Search & Rescue volunteer for many years… I was the head dispatcher for Hurricane Camille in Gulfport MS in 1969. That was my next stop after Woodstock. What a year that was!

I was a volunteer at a handicap scooter/wheelchair repair place a little while back, and they had nothing good to say about lithium batteries in their use case. They said the lifespan of lead acid batteries was about 3x longer than the lithiums…

I didn’t catch whether your former HAM setup was solar only, or supplemented with other sources during that time. That’s a very important detail to that discussion.

Cheers!

"#VanLife needs more supporters, not promoters." ~ TruthMatters

Solar only. Just keep in mind that I almost never fully discharged the battery. I’m not as long-winded as some!

The lithium batteries seem to do better than lead-acid in my experience; in my computer and cell phone they’ve been recharged thousands of times. This MAC I’m using is 7 years old and it gets charged once or twice a day and the battery still lasts a long time. When it was new over 10 hours, now after a couple thousand charge cycles at least 4 or 5 hours.

I have friends with the all-electric Tesla cars, and another friend with a plugin hybrid (Prius Prime). One of the Teslas is over 7 years old, driven daily, and doing fine - I think it still has 80-90% of its original range. The other two I have personal experience with are no more than 3 years old and the batteries are still doing great.

I’ve heard good things about the lithium-iron-phosphate batteries. They don’t have the energy density of my computer and phone batteries, but they’re safer, meaning they don’t catch fire. As I stated, the one in my motorcycle has lasted several years despite some serious abuse. It’s a starting battery - not intended for deep discharge.

Greetings!

I’m a light user on my 100ah battery too, it’s rarely below 10% used, because I drive somewhere at least once every 3 days because there’s a 72 hour limit on parking here. So I’ll go shopping or to the park or somewhere. I used to go out to eat 2-3 times a week, but I’m not ready to resume doing that yet…

I went up to Daytona over the weekend to stay in my favorite motel right on the beach, and the beach was closed… At least they have both indoor and outdoor pools & jacuzzi’s.

I think those scooter batteries are the closest to the LI batteries most people are putting in their campers.

Cheers!

I lived in Florida back in the 1980s, Ft. Walton Beach. Summers were muggy. Glad to live in NM now, but looking forward to doing a little travel in the van.

I’ve been thinking about a van for a couple years, and a few months ago we returned from a trip to New Zealand where we rented a camper van for two weeks. I think that’s what brought the other half onboard with the van idea.

Greetings!

I’ve been living in camper vans and small RV’s since right out of high school, working on a traveling construction crew, often following natural disasters. Did that for ~30 years until it got too much for me physically. I enjoyed the lifestyle too much to give it up, so I recreated myself to make money online and continue the lifestyle. Flash forward to present, and for the last few years I’ve been caregiving for friends in South Beach during the summer, and Minneapolis and Duluth MN in the winter. In both cases, their regular caregivers head for better weather, so I’ve been taking up the slack, while still working from my van for myself. Luckily my van is set up for extreme weather conditions, so it isn’t too bad…

Cheers!

Did you find a solution? I’m very interested. In the design phases and will have the same layout and would love a solution that draws a breeze over the bed in the back!

Greetings & Welcome!

If you set a ceiling vent/fan on intake, with windows open elsewhere, you can get far better air circulation than if the fan is set to exhaust. On exhaust it will usually only cool right near the ceiling.

Opening windows and cheap fans are always a better choice than roof vents.

Cheers!

"Free camping is rarely free, you'll pay for it dearly in extra gas,
vehicle repairs, and tire replacements." ~ LonelyHearts

Greetings
Greetings
Greetings after reading various articles in this forum and continually coming across your responses to people’s questions I have decided that this forum is not for me. You are extremely opinioned ,rude and think your way is the only way in every topic. Just cause something works for you doesn’t mean it’s the only way and the best or right way. When questioned you say prove me wrong. WTF who do you think you are. Why should someone have to prove you wrong. I’ve had enough of you in two hours of reading and will take my questions to a less opinioned site.

1 Like

Greetings!

Choices are what it’s all about. I try to present choices that have worked for me or others, as well as choices that have failed for myself or others. Everyone is free to make whatever choices they prefer, good, bad, or indifferent. Presenting choices people otherwise might not even know they had, can’t be considered a bad thing.

Everybody here, including myself, is eager to hear what does or doesn’t work for others. Everything we can learn, whether we choose to use it now or not, could be the solution that will save us later. This life presents a lot of problems, many of which are unique to us, and solutions that may work in other lifestyles, aren’t necessarily good choices for us.

Veterans, survivors, or whatever you wish to call us, frequently catch flack from the promoters and their followers because we tend to follow Paul Harvey’s lead, and tell “The Rest Of The Story”. Since we’re donating our time, and not getting paid to promote the lifestyle, we try to expose the good, the bad, and the ugly, not just the dream, that all too often turn into nightmares. Only a tiny amount of the people who try this lifestyle actually succeed at it long term. “Murphy” was an optimist, and would have made a great van dweller, yet still he wrote “Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and usually at the most inopportune time.” (Murphy’s Law)

A few people can solve almost any problem when it arises, but that really isn’t true for most of us. Most of us don’t have the needed skills unless we learn them. Money could be an alternative answer, but if something goes wrong and you’re boondocking with no cell service or internet, even money might not help. Planning on the other hand, could be a lifesaver, literally… Your knowledge, or lack of knowledge, can make the difference between life & death. Knowing our options, before we need them, is priceless.

The wise have multiple plans, and multiple backup plans. While we can’t predict the future, we can be prepared for just about anything. Knowledge is power, but it must be stored in your head. Not in books, or online, because depending on your situation, the knowledge in your head might very well be all you have available at that time. Sooner or later, we all find ourselves in a situation where the only person we can rely on is ourselves, our knowledge, and our skills.

It’s never been about “my way is the only way”, it’s about “you can never have too many ways”. You can’t make a choice you don’t know you have.

If I do come across as rude, that’s not intentional, but I do get passionate about saving people from themselves, or at least offering them alternative choices. My goal is to save people time, money, & problems, and I will never apologize for that.

Cheers!

"Judge yourself, not others..." ~ Road Warrior

2 Likes

Dont worry mate

Those of us who recognize experience will always be glad like you stated this life isn’t for everyone we are not the norm and the obstacles that are before us are unique and any help in recognizing and overcoming them is very much appreciated.

This isn’t social media, this isn’t Facebook, this is a forum where we help each other and anyone is entitled to post what they like (ha within reason of course)

Presenting alternatives to a problem is very beneficial

where else can we learn to take 1 litre of water into a store leave em overnight to go back the next day for ice cold water

Brilliant

ignore the children keep the nuggets of wisdom coming we who appreciate it are grateful

1 Like

Hi Van_Chef, Sharbian and everybody,
I’m new to the forum and while browsing the topics I found this thread and wanted to contribute to the conversation since I am in the final phase of an almost 2-year project to bring to market an effective solution to mitigate this very problem. I see some people asking for suggestions and I wanted to mention our solution but I just read the guidelines and see there’s a rule about absolutely no product promotion so I don’t want to be kicked out of the forum (just as I got in) but we do have a really cool solution (pun intended) to the problem of excessive heat in vans. I certainly wish to respect the rules but try to help at the same time - so if anyone has any suggestions or perhaps anyone interested could message me directly? I don’t know but if there’s a legal way that I could share our solution and get some feedback, it would be great. For people arguing against making holes in their vans, I respect your opinion, understand this is not for you and I hope we can still be friends.
Thank you all and safe travels!

Greetings & Welcome!

Promoters just come here to make money and not actually contribute anything useful…

I’m going to go out on a limb and encourage you to tell us about your solution.

If it’s good, we’ll get behind you 100% !!! We all need solutions, and understand that not everything is for everybody, but the more choices we have the better.

I’ll take the heat if anybody complains.

Cheers!

"Opportunities are everywhere, but only action makes it happen." ~ Van_Dweller

We have a MaxxAir fan on the roof. We installed per factory recs and it leaked. Sooo, I climbed up and redid the seal and check it regularly. No more leaks for two years now. I like fresh air and didn’t want to add other windows to what came in the van so we created some inserts to let air in and keep bugs out. There are several on the market. Most are metal or have moving parts. Ours are ABS with no moving parts so the window tint stays nice. I don’t like bugs. Anyway, there are lots of options. The ones we make are on our website. www.therollingstowes.com

1 Like

Hello @Van_Dweller and everybody,

I appreciate the warm welcome and opportunity to share our cooling system. Our goal is to deliver an eco-friendly solution that provides adequate relief from heat in vehicles and trailers. Hope not to disappoint…

Just to say that I am not a hustler/promoter trying to swindle the van community out of their hard-earned money. I’ve been a tech guy for over 15 years and lost my job when the pandemic hit. This was my side project and circumstances led me to take this on full time and give it a go. I’m just an entrepreneur trying to make a living by bringing something new and valuable to the marketplace. I would not spam the group with promotional, unsolicited crap but since the question was so specific to what I’m doing, I decided to chime in.

This is what our cooler is going to look like.

It’s low profile, uses only water and works with the engine on or off consuming little battery power (~7 amps in 12v and ~4 amps in 24v). It has an internal 3-gallon water tank which should last a full day (or more) under normal conditions (larger external tanks also available). Efficiency varies depending on climate conditions but in drier climates you can experience a cooling sensation of ~-20°F+ from ambient temperature. Easy to install and maintain. There are other features which of course I can share if there is any interest.

Again, I appreciate the chance to share this with you and welcome your feedback.
PS- Van_Dweller, I appreciate your closing quote. I can certainly relate.

1 Like

Greetings!

This is GREAT, and I am very pleased that you are sharing it with us!

I have no problem with people promoting their own dwelling related products, or any products that are meant to help others. To me there is a huge difference between people who participate and try to help others, and those who just come here to line their own pockets.

I’ve been using swamp coolers for years, and highly recommend them. Mine is a DIY indirect type, that works even in high humidity areas. I’ve spent the last several summers just south of Miami, and I’d die without mine. Shade & fans are great, but when you need active cooling, YOU NEED ACTIVE COOLING!

I grew up off the grid in the swamps with no electricity. Our kerosene powered fridge/freezer, stove/oven, lights, heat, swamp cooler, and fans were among our most prized possessions. Even after we got electricity, it wasn’t as reliable as our original stuff, and being self sufficient in hurricane country is really important.

Do you have a website yet, or links you can share? If this is ready to market, I might even be able to help you out with some free advertising in the form of a new product release article in a popular RV magazine.

Good Luck & keep us posted!

Cheers!

"Opportunities are everywhere, but only action makes it happen." ~ Van_Dweller

1 Like

That’s great feedback @Van_Dweller! I appreciate the encouragement and the offer with the advertisement (it has been a long road). I’ll certainly be hitting you up for that when time is right!

The product is ready and I’m getting my first so-anticipated-sample units at the end of the month so I can show it to people at last and hope to get some pre-orders. I don’t have a website or much marketing material yet. Hoping to change that soon… You mentioned humid South Mia. Just as an add-on, this product has been tested under various conditions and while it doesn’t deliver the same ‘cooling effect’ that it does in dry AZ, for example, it is still quite effective in bringing a nice, constant flow of cool air (in addition, the water tank lasts longer since it requires less water given the environment already has a higher humidity level).

Since I can’t provide adequate support to people across the country on my own, my goal is to go through specialized conversion/upfitting shops so they can in turn, support their local market with professional installation, paint jobs, parts and service. By the way, the unit should require near zero-maintenance aside from switching the filter 2-4 times a year, depending on usage.

Thanks again :pray: and I welcome further feedback from you and the rest of the van gang!

2 Likes