So many questions!

Hi! My names Jemima, I’m from England, and I’m finally starting to take the first steps towards van life
I’m 18, and therefore financially and time limited, but so excited to start this project.
I have so many questions to ask people who are far more experienced in this sector than me, and learn from their experience and wisdom.
Thank you! :sun_with_face:

Greetings & Welcome!

I’m in the USA, but I’ve been a nomad my entire adult life. While some people are forced into this lifestyle by circumstances, those of us who do it by choice have a much better chance of succeeding if we follow a few simple guidelines.

Jobs & money first and foremost. Life isn’t free, and the best time to start building a firm foundation is today. The younger you are when you start, the easier it is. Work towards a career that will blend in with the lifestyle you want. If you want to be a nomad, online jobs, or skills that will be demand everywhere you travel, are a good start.

Get out of debt, and then stay out of debt.

Once you have a mobile friendly stable and sustainable source of income, then it’s time to start saving for the future. You’ll need a vehicle, the money to convert it if necessary, and an emergency fund large enough to cover replacing everything, and to live on long enough to get back on your feet.

With enough in money in savings, now you’re ready to start looking for a vehicle. This process should involve a lot of research, and planning. Start saving money with your vehicle purchase. Older factory campers are often much cheaper than a DIY project, and move in ready. Don’t buy into the scam that DIY is better or cheaper. 99% of the time it’s only better for the promoters, unless you have lots of experience to know exactly what you want. It’s not uncommon for people to do multiple builds trying to get it right, and they all cost more money. Avoid that trap.

If you are determined to do a DIY, keep it both as cheap as possible and as simple as possible. My criteria is a comfortable bed & seating, kitchen, bathroom, heating, cooling, ventilation, water, and unlimited power. You don’t need anything expensive to accomplish that. The most expensive part of my build was a $99 generator for unlimited power. My entire build cost under $300.

Do get whatever vehicle you’re thinking about purchasing checked out by a mechanic before you buy it. This can save you a lot of money and unexpected headaches.

Good luck & keep us posted!

Cheers!

"Jobs & money first, vandwelling later." ~ JustTheFacts