Intro…and a few questions

Hi all, Claire here; I’ve just joined and just wanted to introduce myself and my van - I have just bought a 2012 transit trend MWB van and I’m gonna call her bonnie!

I have just spent the first week taking out the metal shelving, racking and wall boards and floor…all wonderfully secured with rivets, screws, rusty screws with no heads and every type of rivet you can imagine. Haha I didn’t even know what a rivet was last week now I’m an expert!

Anyway, my next step is too treat the rust spots, not many found thank god, only a few were pieces of wood haven’t been secured properly. So my plan is too use a wire brush on end of drill, then treat with rust converter, then red oxide then metal paint!
Does this sound right?

Next step deadening and insulation….? Or will I have to suss out my electrics and wiring before insulation?

Thanks in advance to all and nice to join the van family.

1 Like

Greetings & Welcome!

Your rust repair sounds good…

You have two choices for wiring, you can run it inside your walls, or outside of your walls. I prefer to run mine outside of the walls, but behind a trim piece for ease of access if I need it. I hate tearing things apart to work on stuff. Everything needs attention eventually, and the easier it is, the better I like it.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

1 Like

You may be there all day with a brush and a drill, a cheap grinder will make short work of the rust. Depending on the insulation type it does not matter the order, if you are using wool or something similar you can just stuff it behind the wires. We did insulation then wiring. As @Van_Dweller said though, anything that is carrying a lot of power is easily accessible. Ours are simply out of site by running below and at the back of our cabinets. Easily accessible and the entire length of it can be changed out in a few minutes. This also goes for any control wires we have for our heater, fridge, etc.

Thank you both for your replies. So red oxide and rust converter do I need to apply both of these then the paint of just one?
It’s so hard to get so confused with all different types of info on the internet, all contradicting the last haha…the info on the wiring makes total sense, I got mislead by another article and freaked out it needed to be behind the walls, but your right, how will I get to it if needed, phew for this forum,
thanks for your replies really appreciate it.
Kind Regards
Claire
P.s I did some work today on the rust before seeing your comments, brush and drill - indeed is going to take me a long time, so tomorrow I will try with my grinder and some fresh discs.

Greetings!

The red oxide is basically a primer coat, so it should add a little extra protection, and make the final coat look more even.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller