Dometic cooler alternatives?

Greetings!

Most batteries will have a date code stamped in the case, or on a sticker. It will start with a letter which is the month of manufacture. A=January, B=February, etc. The next 2 numbers are the year of manufacture. B18 would be Feb, 2018. I try to get batteries that are no more than a couple of years old, meaning they should last me at least 5 more years.

I take a multi-meter with me, and if it reads over 12v it should be good because it has been sitting. Of course you want a deep cycle battery.

There are at least 2 kinds of battery recyclers. Some just sell used batteries, while others actually recondition them. If they’re good, a reconditioned battery can be as good as or possibly better than it was when new. Good reconditioned batteries usually come with a 5+ year free replacement warranty. The problem is that the warranty is only good at that business. Reconditioned batteries usually sell for between $30-$50, while used batteries can often be found under $20. Used batteries may or may not have any type of warranty.

I’ve been buying used batteries for decades now, and they usually last 5-7 years. (WITHOUT SOLAR!!!) With solar, I have never had a battery last longer than 2 years, and under a year was more typical, and that was with brand new $350 batteries. Solar kills batteries prematurely with it’s poor charging characteristics.

Cheers!

"Smiles are contagious, pass them on!" ~ Van_Dweller

Hi Bretly
I used to live and sail on a boat for quite a few years. I only had solar and wind to charge my battery bank and I can tell you this, as a sailor, you don’t have the luxury of not being spot on with your power needs.

I had a Wynter cooler that I used for about 5 years, absolutely no problems out of it.

I only changed to a Dometic because I wanted the ref/freezer options but I wanted a chest style because it holds the cold in when you open it up. With a dorm style fridge, you loose too much cold air each time you open the door but with a chest, cold air sinks so when you open it up, you don’t loose your cold as quickly.

Unless you have an absolute need for a freezer, i would go with the Wynter

Recommendations on a swamp cooler?