Am I In Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Risk From Portable Power Station?

Hi. I’m nervous about using a “power station” that was kindly gifted to me a few days ago. It’s this one : 200W Portable Power Station, FlashFish on Amazon (I’m not allowed to post link here)

If you reply please keep in mind in not tech savvy on this topic so please reply with simple terms.

I haven’t used it yet because I’d heard of people accidentally dying from carbon monoxide poisoning and wanted to do more research. Even now in Texas there’s headlines like “Two dead from carbon monoxide poisoning after using a car for heat in Texas winter storm”

My friend knew this and emailed the company and they replied writing, “The battery itself won’t exist a danger of carbon monoxide poisoning, it’s just a lithium battery, like the power bank… we can confirm the battery itself won’t produce carbon monoxide or any other dangerous fumes.”

If their item is identified as a “Power Station” why are they specifying the battery in thier reply, I wonder. I want to email them a follow up to clarify. Is the item entirely (not just the battery) safe to use inside the back of a cargo van while inside of it?

I got a cargo van to live out of last fall and I’ve been in it full time for a little over a month now. I previously lived out of my SUV from around 2010 to 2017 and I was in CA so I was ok enduring the weather. Now I’m in a western desert state and the nights are between 50 and 40 degrees. It’s cold in the back of the van where my bed is but I endure it ok.

Should I get a carbon monoxide alarm just in case?

Thank you.

That is just a big(ish) battery in a plastic box and a bunch of connectors. It really does not have an engine inside that would produce carbon monoxide.Instead you’ll charge it at home or from the cigarette lighter plug when car is running.

The alarm is still a good idea to have anyways. You know, there might be a reason to run car engine at times and you cannot always be certain if there is a leak in the exhaust… Or a candle. Anything.

1 Like

Thank you for the insights KLF.

Most CO poisoning comes from sealed up vehicles. The vehicles flow through ventilation was designed to work at highway speeds. Dead people do silly things like put masking tape on the windows and doors of their house to keep the cold out; then put a BBQ in the kitchen. Like the gas shortages in New England in the '80’s. A few cases in cars could be due to small exhaust leaks like manifold cracks or pipe gaskets missing chunks. Not to mention it snowing so bad that the level comes above the tail pipe directing the exhaust into the body cavities and forcing poisoned air to creep back in the aforementioned vent system designed to suck air out at highway speed. You should keep the windows down an inch and have the fan motor on med or high. Check the tail pipe now and then even if its 12° below. This may seem out of place but the OP brought up CO poisoning :yum: Just thought I’d put my 2 cents in while we were thinking about it

Thank you for the insights Chet