4x4 van & introduction

Greetings!

Van size 4x4 skoolies can often be found in the snow belt for cheap…

Cheers!

"Always avoid expensive solutions to cheap problems." ~ OffGrid

2 Likes

Although tempted by your 80’s van advise On another thread and their cool retro style, I found an AWD 2013 Ford Econoline in great condition that I may need to not pass up. Any advise as to AWD As compared to a 4x4 conversion?

Converting a van over to 4x4 at this point make little sense since you can basically get a 4x4 in an era, 80’s, 90’s, present. These guys seem to have a constant inventory of delicas:

Keep in mind that a Delica is a small van, which might be a plus if you’re hitting the jeep trails, but a minus for interior space. (Just don’t put a snorkel on it - that would be silly!)

Greetings!

I don’t know enough about that particular AWD system to offer anything of value, sorry…

Cheers!

"Always avoid expensive solutions to cheap problems." ~ OffGrid

AWD usually lacks limited slip/locking capabilities unless new enough to have electromagnetic differentials. AWD often has better fuel economy as it is designed with all road speeds in mind. 4x4 is not designed for high speeds. AWD can be driven on all road surfaces. Driving a 4wd with the front diff engaged can lead to gear failure if driven on dry pavement. I replace differentials for that very reason quote often. The benefit of 4wd is they are usually much more robust. There are pros and cons. The Econoline is built like a truck and as such, can take one heck of a beating.

1 Like

I will have to second the locking differential idea! I had an '82 Ford Econoline in high school that had a locking differential (2WD) and that thing would out perform a lot of 4x4s in my local off highway recreational area (Pismo Dunes, CA). It never got stuck on the sand (also aired down the tires to 20psi) made some gnarly hill climbs and even handled snow fairly well (although a limited slip would be better here). Make pretty much any van into an lite offroad worthy rig with locker and proper tires.

2 Likes

Perfect analogy haha

My van is only 2wd and I find my tires are the weak part. I have the 80psi cargo/street monstrosities and I’ll be swapping them out for some BFG all-terrain tires this coming spring.

My friend has the pick up truck version of my van and he does just fine with 2 wd where I get stuck. The main difference is his tires are off-road tires and mine are not.